Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 19:01   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Higher water pressure results in reduced usage?

I have been living aboard, in a marina, for the last two years. The boat has been connected to the dock water through an inlet on the transom. Now, getting ready to move off the dock, I switched to using the internal water tanks and pressure pump/accumulator. The water pressure at the various outlets is noticeably higher, but not too high. One thing I've noticed is, especially when showering, that I'm using LESS water, despite the pressure being higher. It seems I can get wet, shut off the water, soap up, then rinse off, using noticeably less water, judging by how fast the shower pan drains.

It seems counter-intuitive for higher pressure to result in reduced usage.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:55   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Higher water pressure results in reduced usage?

For something like removing soap from your body or shampoo from your hair, it makes sense. More pressure will do a better job of pulling the soap away from your skin, meaning you don't need as much volume of water to get it off. However, higher pressure means higher flow rate from a given faucet, so if you're not careful about usage, you can easily end up using more.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water