Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Holding tank and thru-hull protocols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You are over thinking this a bunch. I've been checked by DNR and CG.
better that I overthink it than the local marine Dibble

Quote:
The regulation allows for "by padlock, non-resealable tie, removal of handle or other physical barrier." Releasable ties are the ones where a simple pinch allows removal. The ties do NOT have to be metal. In fact, rigging wire is not as clearly acceptable, though I'm sure it would pass if very well twisted. They do not require locks. The regulation clearly accepts plastic cable ties. Simple.

Obviously there are MANY ways poop can get in the water, no the least of which is a bucket, so the law is not that complicated. Sure, you can use a locked door, but there is NO IMPLICATION that a lock is required. The notion that a crew member would cut the tie, drain, and replace behind the captains back is absurd on the face of it. Why?
WE don't carry 'crew' only rare family guests, I was just being 'Devil's advocate', just as junior officer Dibble just out of training school might be when doing an inspection and looking to please his superiors..
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:53   #17

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Holding tank and thru-hull protocols.

. Oh, the joy of pleasing one's superiors through the act of fining an unfortunate citizen for the horror of failing to correctly secure a valve used primarily to determine the fate of said citizen's poop!

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Tags
holding tank, hull, rot