Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2021, 04:06   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Holding Tank filling very fast ??

All this advice is making my "head" spin.

OK, OK. Too early in the morning to come up with a good pun.

I just wanted to add my own experience with the Jabsco manual flush. We replaced our two electric heads (wet flush only, no dry flush option) with these the first year we owned the boat. We also have small (25-30 Gallon) holding tanks, one in each head.

We found we filled the tanks a lot slower with the manual pumps. We had the same setup on our last boat. We follow Peggy's advice on using wet vs. dry. We make sure to pump a few extra times to get clear water into the hose so the waste isn't sitting there too long. We always flush toilet paper. I rinse the bowl with fresh water from the shower whenever it's going to sit for a day or more, so critters in the raw water don't start to stink.

Although a bigger tank would be nice, I don't think heroic efforts when "going" are called for here. You shouldn't be filling the tank that quickly with normal use, unless someone is being very heavy-handed with the pump, which you say isn't the case. Use Peggy's rule-of-thumb on water use per person as a guide. I'd be monitoring closely and looking for a different problem, especially if the head and tank are below the waterline.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 07:22   #17

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

If the old head was below the waterline it might have filled even if you didn't pump. If the new one is above the waterline it will need pumping to bring water in.

That is why one should normally put it in pumpout mode when not using on installations below the waterline.

Sailmonkey had it right.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 10:18   #18

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
our 4 year old daughter filled tank in one weekend! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two adults one child, no excessive use or pumping.
...excessive eating!

Tags
holding tank