Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2021, 07:10   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Holding Tank - One Pump

You assume correctly, Jeff....water runs downhill and a worn joker valve is letting it back up into the bowl. The best option would be to replace flush button that only lets you simultaneously bring in water and empty the bowl with the 3-option "momentary control" Raritan Momentary Control owners-manual that lets you bring in water and hold it ahead of flush (which you should always do ahead of solids even if you have to use a cup from the sink), dry flush bowl contents or simultaneously do both, and always use the "dry" option to finish the flush, which should always be clean water, btw. You'd need to replace the joker valve at least annually to keep water water in the bowl. This retailer has the "momentary control" switch for the best price Boatersland RaritanMomentary Wall Control 12 Volt

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 07:41   #17
Marine Service Provider

For the toilet , I am looking at a Raritan Super-Flush if it will fit. These Catalinas came with Jabsco toilets, which IMHO are basically a plastic bicycle pump with a bowl.

The SuperFlush WILL fit. It's their tried and true PHII toilet with a redesigned base to match the Jabsco mounting bolt pattern. You do need to that the flush water inlet fitting is on the FRONT of the PHII pump, requiring a slightly longer inake line. I can't remeber whether it ships with a straight discharge fitting or a 90. If it's a 90, you can rotate it to aim in where it needs to go or you may need to replace it with straight if a straight is needed. NEVER just pull a hose at an angle...it'll leak!

As for your vent...make that 1"--which may require replacing the vent fitting on the tank (actually a pretty easy job, thanks to a li'l gadget called the Uniseal UNISEAL and replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead fitting. Not only will that greatly improve the air exchange, but it'll also let you put a hose nozzle against it to back flush the vent line every time you wash the boat, preventing vent blockages.

I'll be glad to help you with any details or questions.

--Peggie
Old 24-06-2021, 11:24   #18

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Another option would be to take this opportunity to replace your heads with a Raritan Elegance which has a macerator in the head. Some others do this too but the Elegance has a bunch of other advantages. I have their smart control that reduces the amount of water used in a flush causing my holding tank to fill half as quickly.

Not sure if that Elegance head has a timed flush cycle. With a macerating head, I think you only need and want to push the button long enough to clear the bowl. Any more is just adding clean sea water into the holding tank, effectively reducing it's capacity for more waste.
If any head has a timed cycle, I would certainly disable it so the user can flush for as long or short a time as necessary and not more. Yes, waste remains in the connecting tubing but if it's the proper hose in good condition it won't smell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the way we do it and it works for us.
Old 24-06-2021, 13:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

You can learn everything about the Raritan Marine Elegance you want to know here: Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf Choose from several flush options: Push button, 3 option "momentary control" panel, or 4 option "Smart Flush" panel. Adding the "SeaFresh" system even allows switching between fresh water and sea water at will.

--Peggie
Old 24-06-2021, 13:33   #20
Marine Service Provider

If any head has a timed cycle, I would certainly disable it so the user can flush for as long or short a time as necessary and not more. Yes, waste remains in the connecting tubing but if it's the proper hose in good condition it won't smell.

It'll just build up along with sea water minerals in the toilet discharge line, reducing its diameter to < 1/2" in less than a year in warm waters, and building up in the joker valve till its totally encrusted...but hey--whatever floats your boat for you is fine with me.

--Peggie
Old 24-06-2021, 19:58   #21

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

Sinnerman - my existing tank has what you are proposing - a Y valve to direct effluent overboard or to the tank. It seems that a lockable valve is the way to go to appease the authorities. I haven't come across a macerator control. Seems like a good idea 'though I'm naturally resistant to adding yet more systems. I'm not sure I understand the shut-off valve. I this so you avoid any backflow thru the 2 pump-out pipes when underway?
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 21:47   #22

Hi All. Would anyone mind (particularly Peggie!) critiqueing my attached plan for the holding tank? There’s been a tank there for 20 years (now removed) so I guess that system worked, but there may well now be new ideas. One change I’ve made is that the pick-up is now from the top of the tank whereas the existing arrangement had an outlet at the bottom. I’ve not shown the water inlet as that’s straight forward. What I’m not sure on is if I’ve got the discharge from the shower sump-pump box right. My plan shows it being connected to the WC discharge line and can still drain when in restricted waters. Also, I’m not sure if a vented loop is needed for this sump?
Cheers
Old 24-06-2021, 21:48   #23

Oops! Plan attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5464.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	240995  
Old 25-06-2021, 05:39   #24
Marine Service Provider

There is no restriction against discharging gray water directly overboard in Queensland waters as long as it's NOT combined with black water (sewage). So the shower sump pump should be plumbed to drain directly overboard via an ABOVE-waterline thru-hull...no vented loop is needed.

I'll be glad to help you get all the plumbing for both system right the first time if you'd like to send me an email (select EMAIL instead of PM...it's SO much easier than PMs!)

--Peggie
Old 25-06-2021, 05:53   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
You assume correctly, Jeff....water runs downhill and a worn joker valve is letting it back up into the bowl...
Thanks Peggie - much appreciated
Jeff
jc1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:43   #26

On the new installation, make sure that the vent from the holding tank drains back to the tank. I had one boat where there was a dip in the vent pipe which filled with poo when the tank was not pumped out in time. The poo dried and blocked the vent. When the deck fitting was opened prior to a pump out, the pressurised plastic holding tank blasted a 6 foot column of sewage all over the deck, mainsail and crew!
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:04   #27

Peggie, could you help me understand my Lavac vacume head.(it works great) It says do about 8 pump strokes, then wait 5 secs, then another 6(?) strokes. Never understood why or what that is about?
vic008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:28   #28

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic008 View Post
Peggie, could you help me understand my Lavac vacume head.(it works great) It says do about 8 pump strokes, then wait 5 secs, then another 6(?) strokes. Never understood why or what that is about?

That’s to allow water to be pulled into the bowl high enough to remove the clingers from the sides of the bowl.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:54   #29
Marine Service Provider

Any reason why the first 8 pump strokes can't be used to add water the bowl ahead of solids, preventing any "clingers"? If the toilet--any toilet--isn't designed to bring in water and hold it, use a cup from the sink.

--Peggie
Old 10-07-2021, 12:33   #30

Always water in the bowl. In fact I wonder if my dangly bits are hanging inthe water! I think it is.
vic008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, pump