Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2022, 03:36   #1

Holding tank pump out problem

I tried pumping out the waste from the deck fitting for the first time and it didn't work.

I don't understand how it's supposed to though. The deck fitting just sits on top of the tank, and it's like sucking on a straw that's held above the level of the liquid.

Am I missing something? Is there an internal pipe that goes to the bottom of the tank?
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:44   #2

Re: Holding tank pump out problem

Yes,
The deck fitting is connected to a pipe which is connected to the bottom of the tank.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:08   #3

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

Did you use one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/Sealand-2-Inc.../dp/B00144EMW8

While many pumpouts have a lot of suction, a lot don't. So, the extra suction loss from press on interfaces may be enough to fail your pumpout.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:24   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Check your tank vent……. Spiders and mud wasps love to make homes in the typical vent fitting. If the vent is clogged you won’t be able to suck. Also is there a y valve on the pumpout side that would give an option to discharge directly or deck pump out? Follow the hose…..

Good luck
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:45   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypag View Post
Is there an internal pipe that goes to the bottom of the tank?
Yes, the suction line should continue to the lowest spot in the tank. Mine did, but because there was a hole corroded in one of the fittings it just sucked air not the liquid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CorrodedSuction.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	265204  
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Yes,
The deck fitting is connected to a pipe which is connected to the bottom of the tank.
No, not always. It depends...

Spurs describes the normal setup on boats used in North America because all North American pumpout stations (that I have seen) are designed to suck out from the deck fitting. In this case the internal diptube is required, otherwise you just suck air.

Many European pumpouts have a diptube attached to the dock hose that reaches down into the tank. If the boat was built for that market, they frequently were left without a dip tube built into the tank.

There are mechanical problems (described in other postings) that can cause a failure to pump out, but the assumption that ALL boats must have an internal diptube is not a good one.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
No, not always. It depends...
Many European pumpouts have a diptube attached to the dock hose that reaches down into the tank. If the boat was built for that market, they frequently were left without a dip tube built into the tank.
I sail mostly in Europe and I haven't seen this solution anywhere, but of course that doesn't mean you can't find it somewhere in Europe. All European boat builders that I know of have this suck out system installed, if they have a holding tank. In the Baltic Sea countries it is now a legal requirement to have the suck out system. In what Marina in Europe have you seen this other solution? ( My guess would be some older marinas in Greece?)
Old 04-10-2022, 00:01   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Many European boats have no deck access to holding tanks in the first place. Some have drop tubes done don’t. Some have simply a low connection near the yank bottom. Some have Y divert or on the sea discharge to facilitate deck removal
Old 04-10-2022, 03:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Many European boats have no deck access to holding tanks in the first place. Some have drop tubes done don’t. Some have simply a low connection near the yank bottom. Some have Y divert or on the sea discharge to facilitate deck removal
Yes, older boats might not have deck access to the holding tank. But that is not what this thread was about.
The question was about "pumpouts have a diptube attached" and I haven't seen that in marinas here in Europe, so my query was where in Europe they have this system in marinas... And - again - I am not saying they don't exist, I was wondering what marinas have diptubes, because I have never seen them.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:57   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Yes, older boats might not have deck access to the holding tank. But that is not what this thread was about.

The question was about "pumpouts have a diptube attached" and I haven't seen that in marinas here in Europe, so my query was where in Europe they have this system in marinas... And - again - I am not saying they don't exist, I was wondering what marinas have diptubes, because I have never seen them.

Never seen dip tubes attached on the shore fittings and won’t make sense as you would need a dead straight run to the tank

Tags
holding tank, pump