Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 09:52   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 37
Holding Tank Vent Question

I am installing a holding tank in my sailboat in which there was only direct waste disposal previously, therefore no venting provided for.
I have the option to place the vent close to the stern or even on the stern versus mid-ship closer to the tank. Having sailed on other vessels where the tank vent is forward of the cockpit and enjoyed the fragrance underway (LOL) it occurred to me that placing the vent aft of the cockpit may be appealing.

So, what are the pros & cons of a longer vent line, anything I should watch for?
Should be able to avoid creating low spots and therefore avoid creating blockage from liquids being held in the run.

All comments and advice appreciated.
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 10:09   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Re: Holding Tank Vent Question

Two vents, one plumbed to each side of the boat, will allow for airflow through the system. This helps the tank keep enough oxygen in the mix to avoid the anaerobic state, which is one major cause of stinkiness. Do not use vent filters because they block the oxygen flow...

Holding Tank Ventilation | Cruising World
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 11:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Holding Tank Vent Question

Where to run the vent depends on where the tank will be located in the boat. Oxygen is the key to odor prevention, so it should be a 1" vent, which will mean using an open bulkhead thru-hull instead of a "vent" thru-hull. Ideally, the vent line should also be a short as possible--< 5', straight and rise no sharper than 45 degrees. Whether cross ventilation is needed depends on all that. If you'd like some help to spec it out, send me an email, I'm always glad to help.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank