Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Holding Tank - Vertical or Horizontal ?

Peggy, Thanks for the explaination of the 20" depth limit. I've seen airation systems for holding tanks but didn't really understand why they were needed.
Ronco! Thanks, I thought that was it but then decided I was thinking of Ron Popiel's company. I bought my holding tank from them more than ten years ago, it's still good.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:27   #17

Boat: 1976 Hudson Force 50

Peggy, I went back and looked at my tank after seeing your post, and in fact I did order it from Ronco Plastics online (they have a great catalog as well to choose from) I do have a 6 Gal Todd tank for a water tank">fresh water tank to pull into the head instead of seawater, which also makes a big difference in odors as well. I can attest that the Ronco tank is much thicker as mine holds 40 gallons and it does not flex at all.
yacht_planb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03   #18
Marine Service Provider

Tank depth is only reason to aerate...tank location, vent lines that are too long, too convoluted or vertical also make passive ventilation impossible.

As for a separate flush water tank, people always just LUV to hear that there was a better way to do something AFTER they've already done it. But there is: simply tee the head intake line into the head sink drain line just before the thru-hull. To flush with fresh water, close the the thru-hull, fill the sink with clean water (don't use gray water...it's not good for toilet pumps)...flush. This also allows you to flush with sea water, providing a safe way to supply fresh water to rinse it out of the WHOLE system--intake line, pump, channel in the rim of the bow AND the discharge line.

You DO realize that your flush water tank needs to be totally separate from your fresh water plumbing--separate fill, separate vent...NO connection to the fresh water system at all. If you need to correct that, the easiest way to do it would be to tee the fill into the sink drain line.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank