Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2020, 15:09   #16

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Holding tank water is heated up?

You can buy the green stuff lots of places, not arguing it’s leagality off of the water. My USCG friend 1 with over 30 yrs in USCG, and 25 in FDNY marine units, he told me several years ago the green stuff is illegal in boats, I am taking them for their word.
The Head east coast Yanmar Mechanic 2 months ago told me the green stuff on a boat is illegal, I am not sure why they would lie? I am not going to spend hours on a EPA regulations site, nor did I check it before posting

2 legitimate informed separate sources on the same topic, I’ll put the pink **** in my motor at 50/50 mix and check the levels when I’m changing my oil, and should the Coasties never come? I’m still good with what I put on and in my vessel AND the environment should Murphy come for a ride.
do what you want. Sailorboy1.( Or anybody else) it’s not a challenge, it’s advice take it or leave it
Kd9truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:41   #17

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
2 legitimate informed separate sources on the same topic, I’ll put the pink **** in my motor at 50/50 mix and check the levels when I’m changing my oil, and should the Coasties never come? I’m still good with what I put on and in my vessel AND the environment should Murphy come for a ride.
do what you want. Sailorboy1.( Or anybody else) it’s not a challenge, it’s advice take it or leave it
I don't doubt your sources, however, a link to the specific regulation would be more convincing.

Both ethylene glycol (the green stuff) and propylene glycol break down very quickly in the environment to benign substances.

Both AFs taste sweet and the concern about EG is that it is more toxic in small doses than PG. (Google Stacey Castor to learn how she offed a couple of husbands with EG in their coffee.) In the boatyard, if EG is on the ground and a boatyard dog wanders by it may ingest the EG and it would not be good.

This post is well informed. The author is a chemical engineer.

https://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2...reeze-and.html
Dave Lochner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:52   #18

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

The last time I tasted some on my finger, I found the green stuff is now denatured with loads of capsicum like stuff. YECCCCH!
I wonder why it took so long to make it unpalatable.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 16:32   #19

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
The Head east coast Yanmar Mechanic 2 months ago told me the green stuff on a boat is illegal, I am not sure why they would lie? I am not going to spend hours on a EPA regulations site, nor did I check it before posting
There is are NO PG based coolants approved by Yanmar. Even finding a recommended EG based coolant approved by Yanmar is a challenge. To add to the confusion, Yanmar coolants are red, but they are still EG be based.

The problem with PG based antifreeze is that it is very hard to find one that has proper anti corrosion additives -- the pink stuff from West surely doesn't. And as far as 50/50, the pink stuff already is 50/50 from the store.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 19:31   #20

I believe Yanmar make their own coolant, I have not used it. I use the starbrite coolant, as recommended because of its composition and critique from several coolant reviews.

Speaking to the original poster;

Sailingsunshine check your fluid levels in your motor to hot water heater/tank loop, most vessel owners do not know it exists, change out the liquid inside if there is any question to its effectiveness. It helps keep the engine temps down and it heats your service water.

Fair winds
Old 20-12-2020, 06:26   #21

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Yanmar does not actually make their own coolant. But they have very specific requirements. The Star Bright Star Cool ($44/gal, use full strength without dilution!) Is not on their list of approved coolants. It may work initially, it may even work long term, I certainly do not know why Yanmar specs the products they do. But I trust the manufacturer, not my local mechanic, and so I use Shell Rotella ELC coolant, a product that is on their approved list.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 07:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Yanmar does not actually make their own coolant. But they have very specific requirements. The Star Bright Star Cool ($44/gal, use full strength without dilution!) Is not on their list of approved coolants. It may work initially, it may even work long term, I certainly do not know why Yanmar specs the products they do. But I trust the manufacturer, not my local mechanic, and so I use Shell Rotella ELC coolant, a product that is on their approved list.
Ok, ok you win,
but check this link out please.

https://www.amazon.com/Yanmar-Diesel.../dp/B07TLLWP3Y

And if you could take the small engine class and inform the instructor he is wrong, when he gets on topic. Just kidding

The “local mechanic” is the senior Yanmar east coast Service mechanic who teaches at Mack Boring & parts, they are the parts supplier to over 300 Yanmar dealerships.
I stand by my advice to SAILINGSUNSHINE,
if you have beef with me Harry PM me.
Old 20-12-2020, 09:09   #23

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

I doubt Yanmar makes antifreeze and I'm pretty sure they don't make oil and fuel filters.

However, they do rebrand other companies products. This is pretty standard. Yanmar oil filters are rebranded Racors. I strongly suspect the Yanmar AF is some body else's AF that has a different label. If I remember correctly Yanmar specifies an AF that is the same as GM recommends for their cars.

Relabeling is a pretty standard practice in the retail world. East Penn sells their batteries under the house brand, Dekka, and sells them under other brand names like NAPA, West Marine, and so forth.

So you're both right and wrong at the same time.
Dave Lochner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 09:10   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Congrats on your new boat! It reminds me of where we were when we bought our first boat. So exciting and so much to learn, but it all makes for a great experience.

One small point I did not see mentioned is wrt the title of this thread. The "holding tank" refers to the tank for holding head / toilet effluent.You are referring to the hot water heater. Fresh water is held in fresh water tanks. Perhaps that was just a typo, though worth a chuckle anyway.

WRT Yanmar coolant, I learned a little tidbit about Beneteau recently. Yes, Yanmar has its own coolant but it is generally the same red mixture as found for most modern cars with aluminum blocks. However, apparently Beneteau commissions all their boats with the green stuff. At least that was the case as of several years ago. We changed over to red / Yanmar coolant a couple of years ago after scratching our heads about why there was green coolant in our Yanmar. We did a very thorough flush with fresh water before filling with red. My understanding is that mixing the two causes problems.

Harry
s/v Juno
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 13:34   #25

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I never had a problem with Prestone and distilled water good for all engine alloys.
Red, green, blue, pink, ... all marketing BS to me. It all does the same job.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, water