Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 19:12   #1

Holding tanks only empty from deck fitting--solutions?

Hi there! I'm looking at a 1981 Gulfstar 44. It has one glassed-in holding tank and one (presumably retrofitted) plastic tank. Reading the past marine survey, I noticed that both only empty from deck fittings.

Is there any way to retrofit something so that we can discharge at sea on longer passages? A macerator, maybe? I suspect that at least one of the tanks is below the waterline.

One possibility would be to replace replace one of them with composting or the like. I'm wondering if there are options beyond that, though? Is adding a new thru-hull for pump out possible if the tank is below the waterline?

Thanks so much!
pillowfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 20:26   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Holding tanks only empty from deck fitting--solutions?

Yes, it's definitely possible. You can add a mascerator or diaphragm pump to push "uphill" from a below-the-waterline tank. It's a bummer when they fail, tho. I'm in the process of finding/making space for above-the-waterline holding tanks in my GS50, hopefully able to gravity drain when offshore... it had Lectrosan treatment systems, which are no longer legal in Puget Sound (plus they no longer worked).
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 21:40   #3

Re: Holding tanks only empty from deck fitting--solutions?

Ohh really, Lectrosan isn't legal here anymore? That's good to know, thank you! I'd seen some positive reviews of them in the past.

Liking the look of the Raritan pump at the moment. It's already on the hard, so that'll make adding a thru hull easier at least XD
pillowfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, holding tank, tanks