Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2023, 18:02   #16

Boat: Tiara 4400 49.5
Re: Hose change: tips appreciated

Peggy, would you recommend switching my 2” hose for 1 ½ to go with Rariitan brand? I didn’t see 2” Raritain hose. I have electric Jabsco units but will switch to the dometic elegance model. Thanks
Dallas Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 19:49   #17
Marine Service Provider

Raritan SaniFlex hose is only available in 1" and 1.5" diameter, which are the only sizes used by 99.9% of marine toilets in the US. I occasionally see posts from people who have boats built in other parts of the world that need 2" hoses. That always require using an 2" x 1.5" or 1" reducing adapter. Which Jabsco toilets do you have that use 2" hose?

I THINK that what you're calling the "dometic elegance model" is actually the Raritan Marine Elegance toilet Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf . It can use either a 1" or a 1.5" discharge line. I recommend that you go with 1.5" because that's the standard size for holding tank inlet and discharge fittings.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 06:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Raritan SaniFlex hose is only available in 1" and 1.5" diameter, which are the only sizes used by 99.9% of marine toilets in the US. I occasionally see posts from people who have boats built in other parts of the world that need 2" hoses. That always require using an 2" x 1.5" or 1" reducing adapter. Which Jabsco toilets do you have that use 2" hose?

I THINK that what you're calling the "dometic elegance model" is actually the Raritan Marine Elegance toilet Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf . It can use either a 1" or a 1.5" discharge line. I recommend that you go with 1.5" because that's the standard size for holding tank inlet and discharge fittings.

--Peggie
Thanks Peggy! Yes it is the Marine Elegance that I will go with and also your recommended 1.5 hose (although the ¾ inch option that Marine Elegance shows available sure is temping to make an easy install…

By the way I love your book and heard you are coming out with another - is that true?

Thanks
Old 26-08-2023, 08:53   #19

Boat: Tartan 40

Raritan elegance is great! I actually recommend the 1 inch discharge hose if you can swing it for your tank as it reduces the volume of raw sewage your line can hold before the tank so in theory less flush water to clear the line (and reduce sewage pooling in lines that eventually causes odor). Also easier to install.

But in fairness I also installed a new larger tank and specified a 1 inch fitting. Adding a reducer and the extra hose clamps may be more of an odor risk than pooling…
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 09:02   #20

As far as tips:
-Make sure the hose you buy fits all the fittings well. Many hoses or fittings are too loose, or too tight! Some of your fittings may not fit tight, some may.
-Dont use that poly/pvc hose which comes white or green. It seems very tough and IS very smell resistant, but it cracks when forced onto a fitting! And it often runs small requiring you to force it.
-For lube I often used lanolin. It's 100% water resistant and wont degrade hose. Not very slippery except when heated a bit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 09:47   #21
Marine Service Provider

The 3/4" hose is the toilet intake line...in fact, 3/4" is the standard size for all toilet intakes. 1" or 1.5" are the only choices for toilet discharge lines.

The Marine Elegance should be an easy install, but it's very important that you follow the directions. Wiring is critical. Here's the link to the Marine Elegance Installation, Operation and Maintenance Instructions (aka "owners manual")
Raritan Marine Elegance Owners Manual

You need to know that the "short" version is for toilets that will sit on a raised "step," the tall version is for toilets that will sit on the head sole. I recommend that you order the 3 option "momentary flush" panel for it instead of the 4 option "Smart Flush" panel...for a couple of reasons: the "Smart Flush" has a circuit board, the "momentary flush" doesn't and the "Full Flush" option on the Smart Flush is 2 or 3 full flushes that can fill up a holding tank in a hurry.

You're welcome to contact me directly if you have questions about the installation.

Glad you find my book useful...and yes, I'm working on a 3rd-and final--edition. It will also deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure--better yet, prevent--'em, but will include some interesting history of marine toilets in addition to continuing to be a complete "marine sanitation systems 101" manual. With any luck I may actually live long enough to complete it!

--Peggie
Old 26-08-2023, 10:38   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Raritan SaniFlex is the only hose I recommend now, because it's not only so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin (which makes most re-hosing jobs a LOT easier), but also has a 10 year warranty against odor permeation. Available in 1" and 1.5"...I haven't seen a better price for it than Defender's.

--Peggie

^^

This. I would add not to over force it, because it can kink. But you shouldn't have to force it, which is very nice. Great stuff. I had one length installed for ~ 12 years before I sold the boat. No problems. There are a number of hoses that hold up, but this one is a joy to work with.

Hose hooks can be handy in tight places. And KY.
Old 26-08-2023, 10:46   #23

Thanks everyone!

Peggy - would you recommend 1” or 1.5”? For discharge?
Old 26-08-2023, 11:22   #24

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
You need to know that the "short" version is for toilets that will sit on a raised "step," the tall version is for toilets that will sit on the head sole.
--Peggie
One does need to be careful with the selection and mounting.
The "tall" version has a seat height that's still only ~15>16" high, and most anybody will find that too low for comfortable use, (that's ~2>3" lower than normal chair height).
Having your knees in your face whilst using the throne is not a good recipe, especially if one has heavy clothing/foul weather clothing on.
Unless one is of really short stature a seat height of 18>20" is much easier to use on a boat that's jumping around.
Old 26-08-2023, 11:48   #25
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

"Does anyone have any tips to making this less nasty?"

Elbow length gloves.
Wrap around glasses or goggles.
Organic vapor respirator (not the dust ones)
Lots of Paper Towels
Disposable rags
Plastic bins and bags.
A gopher helper.

All available at your local hardware store (except the helper).
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 13:04   #26
Marine Service Provider

I'd go with 1.5" for one reason: standard holding tank inlet and discharge fittings are 1.5". 1" hose requires using a 1" x 1.5" reducing adapter at the tank.

--Peggie
Old 29-08-2023, 18:12   #27

Can’t believe no one has brought up eliminating hoses…investigate composting toilet….depending on you sailing /boat usage it is a freeing option. For as little as 200 or as much as 1000… there are no!!!! Hoses.. no stink… no pump out issues. In vestigate…wow… so easy.
pbdayger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 18:22   #28

Boat: Tartan 3800

Shop vac on the pumpout fitting on deck.