Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2020, 19:48   #1

Boat: 2008 Hanse 430e
Hose Not Fitting Jabsco Y Valve

Not exactly sure which model of Jabsco Y valve I have, but after trying 4 different combinations of hose (1" vs 1.5" vs 2 different manufacturers), I am unable to properly secure the hose to the Y valve without being able to rotate the hose on the fitting by hand.

I've tried several different styles of hose clamps so thinking that's not the issue. Used both a screw driver and a socket until I thought I might break the Y valve. Hose was bulging out past the hose clamps.

Boat is a 2006 Beneteau 373. Is there a chance that this is some kind of metric vs imperial hose sizing issue?

That said, the 2 other hoses are 1.5" Trident Sani Shield #102 so WTF is going on.

Its marguerita time......
Issywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 06:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Hose Not Fitting Jabsco Y Valve

I am unable to properly secure the hose to the Y valve without being able to rotate the hose on the fitting by hand.

Try warming the hose a bit (I always used a blow dryer...less risk of melting the hose than using a heat gun) and lubricating both the inside of the end of the hose and the outside of the fitting with a little dishwashing liquid. Do NOT use Vaseline or any grease...it'll leave you with a permanently slippery connection that could slide off the fitting.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 08:07   #3

Sorry for the poor description in my initial post. What I intended to say was that the hose appears to be a bit too large, and I can easily slide it onto the fitting. Even with the hose clamps tightened, I can still grab the hose and rotate it - its not achieving a good seal.
Old 13-06-2020, 10:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

In that case, I'd say the problem isn't the hose, it's the y-valve. And if the y-valve is original--installed in France, the issue could very well be metric vs US. Best way to find out: bring home any new y-valve and try slipping a hose onto one of the fittings without installing it to see if the hose fits as it should...or see the marine store will let you try that in the store without having to buy it first.

--Peggie
Old 13-06-2020, 20:18   #5

Mystery solved.

The Jabsco Y valve hose connections move a bit due to the internal rubber gasket. I was unable to see this occur when I would twist the hose as it’s located in an awkward position.

Hopefully the rubber seal is still good....
Old 13-06-2020, 21:40   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I am unable to properly secure the hose to the Y valve without being able to rotate the hose on the fitting by hand.

Try warming the hose a bit (I always used a blow dryer...less risk of melting the hose than using a heat gun) and lubricating both the inside of the end of the hose and the outside of the fitting with a little dishwashing liquid. Do NOT use Vaseline or any grease...it'll leave you with a permanently slippery connection that could slide off the fitting.

--Peggie
Peggy I am surprised. Dipping in boiling water for a minute turns the hose to butter. Heat gun , blow dryer, torch, don't work as good. And no need for lube.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 06:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

I've never been a fan of carrying a pot of boiling water to the bilge to stick the end of a hose into it. But whatever works for you is fine with me.

--Peggie
Old 14-06-2020, 06:37   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

If the hose is to big then why do you use it?

Use a smaller hose.

If the thru hull is large then you can use a pcv step down adapter between hoses.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 07:31   #9
Marine Service Provider

It's not always that simple when the issue is metric vs US sizes. A recent example: someone needed to replace a hose that was on a metric fitting that's the equivalent of 1-7/8"...making a 2" hose too large. 1-7/8" hose isn't sold in the US, nor are any 1-7/8" adapters...and no way to replace the fitting without replacing the equipment the fitting is on. In this case, we have a hose that's the metric equivalent of a 1.5" hose--barely too large for a 1.5" fitting--and again, no fitting or adapter sold here that'll work either.

--Peggie
Old 14-06-2020, 09:44   #10

Boat: Moody 49

There is no metric issue here! Outer diameter is either 25mm or 1” OR 38mm and 1.5 inch. Check INNER diameter of hose, warm and fix with opposing hose clamps.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 09:47   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I've never been a fan of carrying a pot of boiling water to the bilge to stick the end of a hose into it. But whatever works for you is fine with me.

--Peggie
I was a skeptic about the boiling water method but once I tried it was amazed by how well it works, a mug of hot water works fine, takes a minute or so of soaking, can't damage the hose and only softens the end.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 11:57   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

It only takes some glass webbing and some epoxy resin to build any adapter you need.

Build a foam plug, give it five wraps up and down to get the X matrix, measure, then epoxy. Then just peck out the foam when it dries. Takes 1 hour of work and tomorrow you have your adapter - any size to - any size.

Do not make a simple job sound like a spaceship technology challenge.

It is a toilet. Do not overdo it ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 16:22   #13

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I do not use Y valves. I found them a problem and an expensive one. Much easier to use a y-pipe and put a gate valve in each leg. Open the one before closing the pother. Never had any problems.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 10:35   #14

Boat: Baba 40

>>Do NOT use Vaseline or any grease...it'll leave you with a permanently slippery connection that could slide off the fitting.>>

What about dish soap? I’m, uh, asking for a friend...
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 13:06   #15
Marine Service Provider

Dish soap is water soluble detergent...it dries out, so it doesn't remain slippery.

--Peggie

Tags
jabsco