Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 08:27   #1

Hose pipe for drinking water etc.

I'm looking for a hose pipe to fill my tanks and general deck-wash etc.
I'll probably need to order this online without being able to check it out in person first.
The type of hose material I would like is the stuff that feels a bit rubbery and flexible rather than the more stiff PVCish feel.
I want to coil it smaller and it not take of a "set" as PVC garden hose seems to.
It will not stay outside on the dock but be stored in a locker.
Any suggestions as to maker/material ?

Mine is a 43' sailboat so I wonder if two 25' hose pipes are more manageable than a 50' ?

Thanks for any help .....located in Toronto, Ontario
Glory Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 08:31   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Hose pipe for drinking water etc.

Personally, I just use the standard (somewhat stiff in cooler weather) white drinking water safe hoses. I carry a pair of 75 footers on the boat. One is the normal use hose and kept easily accessible (and drained after each use). The other is stowed below as a spare and for the rare times that 75 feet isn't enough.

The 75 footers are a little bulky to coil and carry, but nothing terrible. The nice thing is, they're long enough to wash the whole boat with easily. So if I need to wash, I can do that first, then fill the water tank (with the now well-flushed hose) instead of having to flush the hose out before filling the tanks.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 09:55   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

+1 for the white drinking water hose, otherwise your water will taste like PVC.
Probably would get a single longer hose (50-75') rather than 2 shorter ones to avoid dragging the middle connections across the boat.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 13:58   #4

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Agree with white potable safe hose, your hose will last longer in Ontario rather than mine in Mexico but just be prepared to replace when it gets kinky. Super heavy duty industrial hose will last longer but heavy and water tastes funny.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 14:18   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Most potable water hose is PVC, with a different plasticizers. There are also urethane hoses; I think that is what the OP is looking for.

Hose does not taste like PVC, it tastes like the stuff that is added to the PVC. I know that sounds like a fine point, but much water flows in non-plasticized PVC.
Old 28-05-2021, 17:20   #6
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

You can get Food Grade hose for drinking water - Just picked up a couple of flat ones on small reels which are extremely high quality - Au$80 for 20M. Got from a 12V RV shop
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 11:09   #7

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Some of us switched to Zero Gravity hose. Potable water rated, light, doesn’t get sticky & the outer woven cover doesn’t leave marks. Not expensive and available at most stores incl. “big box”. We can’t detect any taste. It is an expandable hose, but, unlike the ones that change length & burst after a few uses, these stay the same length while the elastomer expands in diameter to fill the woven cover. 5 yr warranty.
Old 30-05-2021, 12:55   #8

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I have been using normal blue hoses from the hardware store. Only use these to fill the water tanks and attach a small cartridge filter on the end prior to the water going into the tanks. Connect the hoses together when not in use.

No issues in @ 4 years. Maybe I need to change?
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 14:56   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

I use a standard black rubber hose because it is flexible and easy to roll up. It isn't "drinking water safe" so I just flush it before using to fill my tanks. Been using about 13 years and so far all that has happened are growing a couple extra toes. They seem to make me more stable so I left them on.
Old 27-06-2021, 18:52   #10

Thanks to all who replied...always appreciated.
Decided to go for the Zero Gravity type.
However in my neck of the S.Ontario woods they are not available in big box stores.
So I ordered one online ( hence my tardiness in replying)...............and it was defective out of the box.
Will persevere...
Tx again
Robin
Glory Days is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drinking water, water