Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 13:20   #1

Boat: Maxi 999
Hot water & foot pump?

I am considering installing a waterheater/calorifier on board, but I want to keep using foot pumps rather than go with a pressurized system to save on water consumption.

My thought is to install a 2nd pump and faucet, I know I need a mixing valve as the water may be 70-90C in the heater and that needs to come down to about 50-60C to be anywhere near safe but will a foot pump handle water of that temperature?

I can't find any temperature specs for foot pumps, so I was hoping someone here has some real-life experience with this to share.

Thanks,

Otto
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Hot water & foot pump?

I wish you good fortune but, I can’t imagine why. We have done the dishes in ambient tank water for years. You will never have water hot enough to damage the germs. Just use proper soap. Wash in salt, foot pump. Rinse in fresh, foot pump.

I see you may be where the water is a bit cooler than our Caribbean 30 C. A recirculating hot water pump with a manual mixing valve may give you tempered water for dishes. I’d keep it simple.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
... We have done the dishes in ambient tank water for years. You will never have water hot enough to damage the germs. Just use proper soap. Wash in salt, foot pump. Rinse in fresh, foot pump...
Even it hot water doesn't kill much bacteria*, it does help to get your dishes and clothes cleaner, thus ridding them of potential hosts for bacteria. Hot water and detergent together attack oils and grime. That oil and grime that you rinse away with the water contains bacteria or could otherwise host bacteria. Without hot water, the detergent is less effective, and oily dishes and clothes don't get as clean.
* Only at water temperatures of 170°F (77°C) or higher (WARNING: much too hot for hand washing), for at least 40 seconds, is washing with detergent alone, acceptable for eliminating bacteria. Otherwise, a chemical disinfectant (ie: chlorine bleach, etc) should be used.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:27   #4

Boat: Maxi 999

^What Gord said. This is why I want to have a hot water tap.
But via a foot pump.
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:41   #5

Ambient temp water and proper soap worked for me on any adventure trip for the last 20 years..
But it also depends on your diet. For example animal fat is not easy to clean with cold water but still doable. Its more about the soap imo..

Rather use the hot water/energy to wash yourself!
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I suppose I’m doomed then. I think that’s too hot for hands. I doubt many places throughout the Caribbean clean dishes that hot. There is not that much energy and everything is always broken. We use ample soap and clean dishes immediately. I can say with certainty that none of the many boats we have visited can deliver scalding water. If this is your serious concern then install a powered dishwasher with heater. We'd best not swim in the lagoon either. The ocean is full of bugs.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:50   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I suppose I’m doomed then. I think that’s too hot for hands. I doubt many places throughout the Caribbean clean dishes that hot. There is not that much energy and everything is always broken. We use ample soap and clean dishes immediately. I can say with certainty that none of the many boats we have visited can deliver scalding water. Most household water heaters are set to 125 F max. 140 will burn you. If this is your serious concern then install a powered dishwasher with heater. We'd best not swim in the lagoon either. The ocean is full of bugs.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I suppose I’m doomed then. I think that’s too hot for hands. I doubt many places throughout the Caribbean clean dishes that hot. There is not that much energy and everything is always broken. We use ample soap and clean dishes immediately. I can say with certainty that none of the many boats we have visited can deliver scalding water. Most household water heaters are set to 125 F max. 140 will burn you. If this is your serious concern then install a powered dishwasher with heater. We'd best not swim in the lagoon either. The ocean is full of bugs.
That seems to be the prevailing attitude.
However, as a general rule, everything that has had direct contact with food should be cleaned, and sanitized, especially if in contact with uncooked food.
Cleaning removes visible dirt, grime, and some pathogens with soap and water, which is all most of us (including Maggie & I) usually do.
Sanitizing kills most bacteria, that remain after cleaning.
Before you can sanitize or disinfect something, it must first be clean.
The first step to an effective (and efficient) hand dish-washing regimen is removing leftover food or grease from your dishes. For cleansing, hot water is the key; but keep in mind the heat isn’t intended to truly sanitize your dishes. The temperature required to kill bacteria is well above what your skin can handle, and likely higher than your tap could ever go.
Rather than using a potentially germ-filled dish cloth to dry your dishes, let them air dry. Not only will air drying prevent the unnecessary spread of germs; it also takes far less time & effort than wiping down each piece individually.
Here are directions on two methods for sanitizing:
Chlorine bleach solution method: Soak dishes for at least one minute in a sanitizing solution made up of 1 tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach + 1 gallon of cool clean water (hot water stops bleach from sanitizing). Remove dishes and allow to completely air dry.
Hot water method: Soak dishes completely covered in < 170°F clean water for at least 30 seconds. Remove dishes and allow to completely air dry.
Use gloves or utensils to remove dishes from hot water.

Canadian Institute of Food Safety (CIFS) Guide to Effective Cleaning & Sanitizing
https://resources.foodsafety.ca/guid...ing-sanitizing

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:46   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

Why not use the foot pump to push water into the water heater? The same as a pressure water system does.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:55   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

Wonder how long it would take to fill a water heater with a foot pump, seems impractical to me and doubt it would save much on water use.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:59   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Wonder how long it would take to fill a water heater with a foot pump, seems impractical to me and doubt it would save much on water use.
You keep it full. Pumping in the cold water pushes out the hot water. Filling the tank is a one time job. Think of it just like a pressure system with manually developed pressure. No need for a hot water rated foot pump.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:36   #12

Boat: Pearson 10M

Original idea seems quite reasonable to me.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:06   #13

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
You keep it full. Pumping in the cold water pushes out the hot water. Filling the tank is a one time job. Think of it just like a pressure system with manually developed pressure. No need for a hot water rated foot pump.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:33   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Why not use the foot pump to push water into the water heater? The same as a pressure water system does.
Pretty good thinking it could work.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:02   #15

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
As often happens, when you ask a question on the Forum you get some responses that will question your original premise. Apologizing ahead of time, here are a few thoughts maybe you could consider if you haven't already:

With any system other than an instantaneous hot water heater right at the sink, you will always have to clear the line of the previously hot, but now cooled water in the line between the tank and the faucet, before the hot water can get to the faucet. This might require a lot of pumping of the foot pump, unless your tank is very close.

Unless you are always in the tropics don't you want hot pressure water, supplied by the boat's electric pump, for your shower anyway? If that pump fails, can you get by with foot pump for only cold water, long enough to replace the electric pump?

Foot pumps may not be designed to hold off pressure in the reverse direction. If you do have a pressurized system that you use occasionally, the hot water side will be at pressure whenever that system is in use. Some water may be lost by leaking backwards through the foot pump.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water