Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2022, 07:50   #1

Boat: Catalina 350
hot water in the bilge

Morning All ... Just recently returned after being gone for 3 months over the summer, I get hot water into the bilge when on shore power and water heater breaker turned on. Happens after about 1 hour when water gets hot. Have not yet motored enough to get it hot from the engine but hopefully will over the next few weeks to test that. Can't identify where specifically the water coming from out of the hot water heater. Was thinking the pressure relief value but its not wet. Don't see any other water around heater either. Maybe (hopefully not) some pin hole in a h/w water line out of view. Turn off breaker and/or cold water feed to water heater it stops in a few minutes. Boat is '07 Catalina 350 sailboat. Any experience here appreciated ... tx .. .Dennis
kingofcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 08:59   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: hot water in the bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcary View Post
Morning All ... Just recently returned after being gone for 3 months over the summer, I get hot water into the bilge when on shore power and water heater breaker turned on. Happens after about 1 hour when water gets hot. Have not yet motored enough to get it hot from the engine but hopefully will over the next few weeks to test that. Can't identify where specifically the water coming from out of the hot water heater. Was thinking the pressure relief value but its not wet. Don't see any other water around heater either. Maybe (hopefully not) some pin hole in a h/w water line out of view. Turn off breaker and/or cold water feed to water heater it stops in a few minutes. Boat is '07 Catalina 350 sailboat. Any experience here appreciated ... tx .. .Dennis
Assume you have pressure fresh water system with hot and cold taps. I'd bet that somewhere downstream from the electric hot water tank between the tank and the hot water tap there is a leak in the plumbing which allows some hot water to leak to the bilge, probably a broken hose clamp or a leaking fitting. Look in the piping, not necessarily the tank.
Old 30-10-2022, 09:25   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

find the leak in the hot water line. it is probably hidden.
Old 30-10-2022, 10:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
find the leak in the hot water line. it is probably hidden.
Aren't they ALWAYS hidden?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 10:15   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Pressure relief valve on the calorifier is leaking.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/produc...3-5-psi-518773

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 17:29   #6

Pete7 … looks like you id’d it. Replaced valve and seemed to work. Thx to all !
Old 15-11-2022, 18:27   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

That the tp valve didn't seem wet was deceiving. It was hot enough itself to evaporate the water and didn't stay wet for long. In another thread somewhere it was suggested to run a hose from the valve into a jug, it catches the water and you can see that it vented. When they vent, they're prone to getting crud stuck in the metal to metal seal and leaking after that.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 18:37   #8

Capt jgw .. as I read the manual for my water heater it did recommend a hose from valve to bilge in case it failed. That’s exactly what the Catalina folks did so I was happy with that. That’s why I had no water aft in the lazarette where the water heater is. I learnt a few things doing this one. Thx .. Dennis
Old 15-11-2022, 18:59   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofcary View Post
Capt jgw .. as I read the manual for my water heater it did recommend a hose from valve to bilge in case it failed. That’s exactly what the Catalina folks did so I was happy with that. That’s why I had no water aft in the lazarette where the water heater is. I learnt a few things doing this one. Thx .. Dennis
Had a similar problem at my home (yes, house not boat but the hot water system principles are the same) and an old plumber gave me the advice to install a slightly lower pressure relief into the cold water intake side of the heater then when pressure increased cold water released, solving the problem of calcification on the seat of the hot water release. Since done I have never had a problem with a leaking pressure release valve.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, water