Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2010, 03:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 12m River Cruiser
Hot Water - Two Tanks

I would be grateful for any assistance on the following hot water system topic.

The following is a diagram of the basic set-up (both tanks have pressure relief valves). Tank (A) (basic stainless steel 80 litre horizontal cylinder) is heated solely by the engine; when the engine doesn't run the tank gets cold. Tank (B) (Seward 50 litre cube tank) is heated by the engine and by an electric immersion heater; it can provide hot water even when the engine is not running (has not run for a while). This latter tank is a new feature but the efficient linking of them together needs some sorting out.

The problem is that the system favours Tank (A) and when it's cold the 'hot' water delivered is just on the warm side of cold too; there's little that gets through from 'hot' Tank (B). I would like to incorporate something that automatically (so I don't have to get into the bilges every time and operate valves) adjusts to the situation. For example, by using a simple thermostatic mixing valve.
Would this work ok? Or is there a better way to link the two together? (That's not too complicated, sophisticated or expensive)

Thanks for any thoughts.
Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 04:07   #2

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
If you want to keep it simple. I would just connect the outlet of tank A to the inlet of tank B

Paul
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 05:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
What Paul said.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote