Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 08:44   #31

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: How do I avoid "discharging oil"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Apparently there are a lot of boats out there that dump the sump into the bilge. That seems pretty nasty to me, cleaning the hair and spootem out of the sump is bad enough, I can’t imagine intentionally dumping that into my bilge and then having to pump it overboard.
I have a Perkins 4108, it leaks oil. Research says nothing will stop it no matter how expensive the seals are. Good thing I have a sump under the engine that doesn’t drain to the bilge.
My 4-108 dripped oil too. I replaced it with a Kubota (BetaMarine). Now my bilge is spotless. You should consider getting rid of that antique.

My shower drains into the bilge. It was built that way. I have made attempts to add a sump and had poor results. The shower draining into the bilge keeps it clean. And my 33 Y.O boat is still on the original bilge pump.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 08:46   #32

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

There are also filters being sold

https://www.vetus.com/en/engines-and...9-mm-hose.html

This has to be put on your small dry the bilge pump, it handles up to 6 gallons/minute.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 08:59   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Two-stroke outboards dump oil in the water every time you run them. Are they illegal??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:07   #34

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Vetus sells a oil water separator for bildge water
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:29   #35

Incidental is not a big deal, but You can float a piece of that oil absorbent pad in your bilge. The oil lays on top and the absorbent picks it up. Works quite well. Put one under your engine too.
Or they make a more expensive sock for the bilge purpose.
You are required to employ "best management practices". The sock would qualify.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:32   #36

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Apparently there are a lot of boats out there that dump the sump into the bilge. That seems pretty nasty to me, cleaning the hair and spootem out of the sump is bad enough, I can’t imagine intentionally dumping that into my bilge and then having to pump it overboard.
I have a Perkins 4108, it leaks oil. Research says nothing will stop it no matter how expensive the seals are. Good thing I have a sump under the engine that doesn’t drain to the bilge.
I have Perkins 4-154 and you are correct, the mechanics tell me that even if I replacd the rear seal it will leak again after a few hours. Just like all British designs. I had a Triumph TR-350, same thing. Oil pans and shower sumps are nothing new. My boat, built in 1982, also has an oil pan under the engine and grey water gets pumped overboard from a sump.

Previous boat was a Cal29 with Atomic4. It may have had an engine pan but I'm pretty sure the shower in the head just drained into the bilge. Not much room on a smaller boat for niceties. If your shower drains in to the bilge and you cannot install a sump, you must add a very small amount of bleach to your bilge whenever you get that ugly grey water smell on board.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
My 4-108 dripped oil too. I replaced it with a Kubota (BetaMarine). Now my bilge is spotless. You should consider getting rid of that antique.

My shower drains into the bilge. It was built that way. I have made attempts to add a sump and had poor results. The shower draining into the bilge keeps it clean. And my 33 Y.O boat is still on the original bilge pump.
I think too much is made of shower going to the bilge as long as you catch the hair etc before it goes down. But I never liked the plastic sump collection/float switch approach for a shower. I did like a simple pump connected to the shower drain that pumped the water out of the shower overboard with no collection box or float switch. Just had a switch on the cabinet you could activate while in the shower.

Old 26-02-2018, 09:35   #38

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Shower (gray) water does not go in the bilge, if it's below the waterline, it goes to a sump and is pumped out separately from the bilge pumps. Above the waterline, it's plumbed straight out.

And, keep the bilge clean (as possible). There is typically a well under an engine to contain oil so it never gets to the bilge.
jsc7
It can sometimes be a tough crowed here on new folks trying to learn.

But this is my answer also - as I understand it now you are required to keep the engine bilge separate from the boat bilge for just this reason. You are required to prevent any oil from being pumped overboard.

I believe some state or locals are trying/have stopped all discharge, even gray water.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:45   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I have Perkins 4-154 and you are correct, the mechanics tell me that even if I replacd the rear seal it will leak again after a few hours. Just like all British designs. I had a Triumph TR-350, same thing. Oil pans and shower sumps are nothing new. My boat, built in 1982, also has an oil pan under the engine and grey water gets pumped overboard from a sump.

Previous boat was a Cal29 with Atomic4. It may have had an engine pan but I'm pretty sure the shower in the head just drained into the bilge. Not much room on a smaller boat for niceties. If your shower drains in to the bilge and you cannot install a sump, you must add a very small amount of bleach to your bilge whenever you get that ugly grey water smell on board.
Amazingly my 1985 4-108 never leaked a drop. None , anywhere. I dont know what they did in that time frame but it always amazes me when people say their 4-108 leaks. I was lucky I guess!

Old 26-02-2018, 09:59   #40

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
A naive reading of the boating laws suggests that it is "illegal" to discharge oil into US waterways, but simple logic dictates that every single boat over about 25 feet in length discharges oil.

For example, residual oil and other chemicals used on a boat will collect in the bilge, then as soon as somebody takes a shower, the bilge will fill with soapy water and discharge. Therefore, the boat will be pouring soapy water mixed with oil and other chemicals into the water.

What is the story on this? Everybody just knows this and ignores the law and it goes unenforced unless the oil discharge is large?
Awesome question!👍‼️
Refreshing to hear a potential boat owner asking questions on how to NOT be a polluter.
Since there are separate answers to those problems, it requires some research on how to effectively resolve them.

Generally, oily residue in your bilge is due to mechanical issues or maintainance.
First, ABSORBANT PADS, for oil,in the engine pan, in the bilge area, rolled up or laid flat absorb heavy oils, be sure to change them, don't wait till they are soaked thru.

Second, INSPECT, mechanical apparatus needs frequent inspection to catch problems before they become bigger problems.

Third, PLANNING, Have a plan, for oil changes, filter changes, hoses, antifreeze, ect. This involves catching residues before they get to the bilge.
Funnels, small containers, rags (lots of them), vacume hand pumps to pump from small containers into bigger containers, as it can be extremely difficult to get under or around things. Soon you'll have found a combination of items that work best on your vessel.

Fourth, divert or catch all other liquids not legal for OB ejection, this is up to you to decide how to retain for disposal at a PUMPOUT or into containers for off loading to disposal sites.
Greywater tanks, shower sumps, direct discharge thru hulls, are regulated by local and state/federal laws.
NO DISCHARGE ZONES are exactly what they say they are❗️
In most cases, being truly eco friendly is a real PITA❗️Not easy!!!
You'll find that it's not impossible to do these enviroment friendly things.

THANKS SO MUCH for asking the question, I hope this post generates lots of answers & helpful comments to all.

Cheers,
SVCloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 10:44   #41

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

It is difficult to stop gray water discharge in an commercially active sea port or the Great Lakes. The GL has trouble with the dumping of ballast water from freighter from the ocean.
Old 26-02-2018, 11:00   #42

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

JSC7,

One way to prevent the primary bilge pump [e.g., the one responsible for keeping the bilge as dry as possible] from pumping a small amount of fuel or oil overboard is to keep oil absorbent material [e.g., pads and/or mats, etc.] in the bilge, and monitor/change them as necessary.

For larger spills [e.g., unknown fuel leak to engine... think gallons...] some electronic [solid state] bilge pump switches will not activate the pump if the liquid is not conducting [e.g., impure water] Since water is heavier than oil, water would be pumped out first and the pump would shut off when the thicker oil layer is reached.

As many have mentioned, grey water from shower, sinks, etc. is best discharged separately from the bilge. There are several reasons for this:

-Some already mentioned are the extra cleaning required of the bilge and unnecessarily keeping the bilge wet...

-Another reason is that any soap or detergent in the water with the oil absorbent pads/mats will cause the pads to saturate with water- ruining their ability to absorb oil. A shower sump [or IC pump from Whale, etc.] is cheap compared to unnecessarily replacing oil absorbent pads over time...

Best wishes with your search!

Cheers! Bill
Old 26-02-2018, 11:00   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oilsorb didies for dripping and vinegar for body scuzz. my ericson had bilge shower drainage, vinegar post shower kept odor to zilch. vinegar neutralizes much that ails us. try it. donot like smell of vinegar/?? is clean smell. follow the vinegar with bilge soap. flush. no issue.
your odor issues are due solely to your cleanliness habits.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 11:43   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Put an oil / fuel absorbent "Diaper" in the bilge under your engine.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...06_186_007_506

I keep a deep inventory of these and one is always under the engine. I pay $1.00 ea for them
You can tell by looking at it if it has absorbed any oil or fuel. Then remove it into an appropriate container on board to be disposed of properly on shore.

I like Simple Green for keeping my bilges clean. Leave a little in the bilge / shower sump and it will slosh around while underway cleaning as it does
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:01   #45

Boat: Amel 50

Technically, anything that causes a sheen on the water surface is an oil spill. One practical suggestion is when taking on fuel, stop short of full. Diesel is pumped out of underground tanks that are colder than the air in the summer. When the fuel is pumped it expands and can overflow through the air vent. The sound of the fueling process changes when approaching full. As soon as the sound changes, stop fueling.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, oil