Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 16:03   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: How do you light a stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I think post #17 started it this time, not me

Jet A is almost exactly kerosene and Jet B is a naphtha & kerosene mix, AFAIK.
The fuel experts might like to correct me if that is wrong
Looks like you're right about the drift start. What was the OP, I remember propane paranoia. I believe they sell detector like smoke, radon and what ever else and for propane today. I'll admit having a paranoia about a heavier than air combustible on a boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 16:09   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
My wife happens to run BoatUS's loss prevention program, edits the seaworthy magazine, and does the claims analysis that are quoted above. She is actually doing an updated fire analysis right this minute.

I just asked her about propane - she said they get less than one per year, they get more fires from kero and electric stoves/hot plates, but still very few, and they get way way more explosions during refueling/handling gasoline (including dinghy gas).
Interesting.

Not doubting Beth's numbers (I'm not stupid) but it just doesn't feel right given the number of fuel explosions one hears of. For example the guy in rio dulce last year.

And we had a natural gas explosion in my neighborhood last year that demolished three townhoses, burnt more, and water damage took out more yet.

Could you ask if the Kero fires were from marine cook stoves or house style heaters?

I did nearly start a fire once with alcohol while trying to light a Kero pressure lamp. That can be dangerous.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:11   #63

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I was just talking with a friend here and he told me of hearing a boat blow up a few years back. That is "hearing", not "hearing of" - she was right across the channel, and he could see her when he looked. For BoatUS to have reported one in a year makes me wonder what share of the market for boats with stoves they have (I suspect they have a high share of trailerable boats, but that is mostly not relevant). The notion that there are just a few boats experiencing explosions in any year is at odds with my experiences. I will qualify my earlier statements by agreeing that it is unusual, but not rare.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote