Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 18:04   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: How long can you pickle a watermaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaterbill View Post
I have a Spectra and it had been pickled for 8 years. I called Spectra and they said "fire it up … you may be OK". While they "recommend" not more than a year, I have previously asked and they said "2-3 years might still be OK. In my case, they felt it was "50/50" … but because we were planning a trans Atlantic crossing, I bought a new membrane … just in case. When we checked the old membrane vs new, you couldn't tell difference.
I now use propylene glycol for longer layups.

In your case I would say you did exactly the right thing. Membrane well taken care of usually have a life span of about 5-8 years. One that has sat for eight years would be high on my recommendation to replace even if the old membrane is working when you started it up. Feel free to contact me anytime with any Spectra issues you may have.

HaldenMarineService@yahoo.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 18:08   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If it's a Spectra, I wouldn't do anything until I got a Pm into Tellie asking him what to do step by step. I think he wouldn't mind.

Sage advice in my humble opinion. And yes, I wouldn't mind at all.

(954) 515-7077
Old 24-03-2017, 18:16   #18

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
I wasn't aware of the drying out part. I pickle my watermaker each year for the winter and leave it for 7 months (it's an Echotec single membrane). So far I haven't had a problem but I realised that I don't plug the salt water reject outlet and as that is lower then the membrane the fluid will flow out. Should I therefore put valves on both the in and out sides of the membrane low pressure lines so it stays full of liquid or does there remain enough moisture in the membrane chamber not to worry?

TwT
Hmmm, I pickled with propylene glycol as well, and I never thought about the reject hose. I guess that could be a source for either draining, or drying out.

What say you, JT?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 07:12   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Hmmm, I pickled with propylene glycol as well, and I never thought about the reject hose. I guess that could be a source for either draining, or drying out.

What say you, JT?

It's not always a common problem, but if a system is draining fluid through the brine discharge then yes I would suggest it be plugged right after pickling. But different installations of the same system might drain while others may not. This depends on the install and if the brine discharge outlet is lower than the membrane then it is possible for the fluid to drain from the membrane down. Usually, if it is higher, then fluid tends to flow back into the membrane keeping it totally flooded. What tends to happen is a system, even properly pickled, over time is that a small amount of draining occurs and the very top of the membrane is now no longer saturated in the pickling solution. It doesn't take much area of the membrane to be exposed for it to dry out. Even if 99.99% of the membrane is saturated and the other .001% is exposed and this small percentage dries out the membrane could be damaged beyond use. I've seen it before and it's tough to tell an owner who has done everything by the book that the membrane still needs replacement, even after a short time. So in short yes, plug any areas suspect of draining such as the brine discharge right after pickling.

Old 27-03-2017, 17:54   #20

Years. If its pickled, it's pickled. Flush and start it up. Throw away water until your ppm is right.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker