Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 17:58   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: How often do you expect to rebuild your head with full time use?

Well we don’t do guests and therefore I get to mount the pump where I see fit.

Thanks for the practical endorsements. We are just a practical couple, nothing fancy.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 11:26   #62

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
So with all this problem why are Lavec vacuum toilets not more common?

Is there a down side of them I don’t know about?
None.
I did replace the pump a few years ago, don't expect to have to do that or any other maintenance for the next 10 years.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:38   #63

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

We are long time Lavac users. Rebuilt the pump after seven years. Seven years later I bought parts to rebuild it again, but never did and that was four years ago. Two years ago I replaced the seat seal.

If we are pumping into the holding tank we use fresh water. We don't stir, we don't use any mystery chemicals or lubes, and we use Charmin Ultra. the Lavac is easy to use and easy to explain to guests.

I keep telling myself I'm going to add an electric pump but why complicate things?
KeelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:56   #64
Marine Service Provider

It really doesn't matter whether salt water or fresh goes into a holding tank...there's so much bacteria in waste, the tank takes no notice of any in the flush water. A second flush with only about a quart of fresh water cleans out the discharge hose and pump--something you'd need to do when flushing with fresh water anyway.

Regardless of whether you flush with fresh water or salt, your downwind neighbors would prob'ly appreciate your using a tank product that prevents odor out the vent.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 13:04   #65

My boat neighbors tend to gather at my boat for beers. Being the gentleman I am I allow everyone to use my head. I can easily end up with ten gallons of liquid in my holding tank on a long weekend.

We have found using freshwater, while in the marina, greatly reduces the holding tank odor as opposed to using harbor water.

That being said when we are away from the marina we found no benefit to using freshwater.
Old 14-04-2018, 13:39   #66
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Proper ventilation is key. A large enough vent hose to keep air flow is needed, as well as having 2 vents for cross-flow. I put in a second 1" vent with a 1" hose and through-hull mushroom fitting off of the cockpit combing. It is in a spot that is naturally a low-pressure area behind the winch bumpout that drags air right out of the tank whenever the wind blows on anchor. There is hair over 4' of hose at a nice slight incline to the opening.

Every time we pump out we backflush the vent while pumping to rinse the tank out well and it keeps the vent from plugging out. The other vent is the standard type with 1/2" hose to a 90-degree hull fitting just under the gunnel just out of view. We are in the great lakes so we can't use the macerator to pump overboard but when we do we have a cockpit shower (both fresh and salt water) just under the lazarette lid my wife is standing on so we can still flush the tank like this when offshore instead of at pumpout.

We use Raritan KO and it does a good job of keeping the tank bubbling aerobic with plenty of natural cross-ventilation. There is a little bit of healthy aerobic smell at times, but that is much better than anaerobic by all means.

BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 15:45   #67

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
We are long time Lavac users. Rebuilt the pump after seven years. Seven years later I bought parts to rebuild it again, but never did and that was four years ago. Two years ago I replaced the seat seal.

If we are pumping into the holding tank we use fresh water. We don't stir, we don't use any mystery chemicals or lubes, and we use Charmin Ultra. the Lavac is easy to use and easy to explain to guests.

I keep telling myself I'm going to add an electric pump but why complicate things?
Full time live abroad? How many people? Seems a little light on needed maintenance, at least compared to my Lavac experience.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 15:57   #68

The wife and I have been living aboard full-time since the 90's. Our vegetarian poo may be easier on the hardware.
Old 14-04-2018, 16:04   #69

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
The wife and I have been living aboard full-time since the 90's. Our vegetarian poo may be easier on the hardware.
Yea, I may not have used enough tofu on my Lavac
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, rebuild