Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2024, 21:10   #1

How to discern of Raritan PHII is pre or post 1992?

I got the boat some 15 years ago. It had PHii toilet but not sure if it was original and the boat is from the early 80s. When some years later the toilet started to leak at the pump I was going to use supposedly "repair kit" which came with the boat. But found out it was incomplete and a new one was expensive. Plus I did not know if that toilet was pre or post 1992. So I looked online and found a drop PHII in for sale, new never installed, on craigslist for short money. Don't recall what I paid but it was no more that the repair kit at Raritan.

The seller inherited that toilet and did not know its vintage. It not being ever installed I was happy to get it. Fast forward a few years and now it is leaking pretty much at same location(l9cations?). Not gushing but rather weeping but enough to create a nuisance Interestingly the smell is not uniform, some days are worse that others. But it started weeping only less than a week. I don't live aboard but am there may be 3-4 days a week.

I have to confess that I have done little if any "regular maintenance" one is supposed to do. Dont use it as much as a liveaboard family would so I figured that was enough to keep the toilet happy.

I tried searching online for ways to distonguish between pre and post 1992 versions but keep getting the difference in kits not the side by side pictures or diagrams of how the toilets differ. So my question is - without documents how does one figure this out? I don't want to spend $$ or effort on a kit that may not be applicable, especially after taking everything apart and then chasing the correct version.

I watched a bunch of Raritan how to videos on YT but found then less than helpfull as all of them feature like new toilets being leisurely dissasembled on a table. And having replaced a few in situs, beginning with my first boat almost 20 years ago, I know the difference.

Thanks in advance.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 22:18   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: How to discern of Raritan PHII is pre or post 1992?

Peggy Hall is the expert, but as I recall, there was a new piston seal about 1992. The old system had a piston that leaked, and the new one had a piston seal (that screwed in??)
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 08:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Peggy Hall is the expert, but as I recall, there was a new piston seal about 1992. The old system had a piston that leaked, and the new one had a piston seal (that screwed in??)
Thanks.

I am looking for side by side pics of both versions so I can see which one I have. Most likely mine is post-1992 but just want to be sure before I start disassembly.
Old 09-07-2024, 08:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

You can find out which version you have if you find the serial number on the one you have and call Raritan tech support with it. 800-352-5630

Fwiw, a PhII will provide 20+ years of reliable trouble free service with minimal repairs if you do 3 things: keep it very well lubricated, replace the joker valve at least annually (most people think that joker valves only block backflow, but that's the least important thing it does) and put a rebuild kit (about $60) every 5-6 years.

And Raritan tech support is excellent...a trained tech answers the phone.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 13:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
You can find out which version you have if you find the serial number on the one you have and call Raritan tech support with it. 800-352-5630

Fwiw, a PhII will provide 20+ years of reliable trouble free service with minimal repairs if you do 3 things: keep it very well lubricated, replace the joker valve at least annually (most people think that joker valves only block backflow, but that's the least important thing it does) and put a rebuild kit (about $60) every 5-6 years.

And Raritan tech support is excellent...a trained tech answers the phone.

--Peggie
Tnx, Peggie.

Tags
raritan