Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 16:30   #1

Boat: cal 28
How to Remove Propane Stove / Oven ?

Hello,

I've got a propane stove and oven that the last boat owner didn't use, and when we hooked it up, we're pretty sure it leaks. Either way, the oven part doesn't work, and we would like to put in a woodstove. Trouble is, I don't know how to uninstall a propane stove and oven. It's all invisibly hidden at the back, and I don't know what everything is that comes out from the back. I've been told you have to do it properly, rather than just hack at it...heh.

Any ideas?

thanks
exordium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 16:48   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Propane stove & oven how to take out?

The gimbals are on the top sides of the stove, remove caps (depending on brand) lift stove up, move it forward, sit it down and you should have room to reach the propane lines.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 16:56   #3

Wink Re: Propane stove & oven how to take out?

Just disconnect the tank after turning it off. Remove whatever pipe or hose thats in the way. If I were you I would try to leave as much intact as possible. There should be only one hose onthe back of the stove. Most stoves swing on two pivots, one on each side of the stove. Getting at that bolt/screws can be tough, if there are adjacent drawers maybe pull one out and look for evidence. Oh.....and ship the old stove to me!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 17:03   #4

Re: Propane stove & oven how to take out?

ah, it's not a rotating oven with space on either side. It looks almost like it might've been built into the boat. It's an old cal 28 (from '68), not sure if that was standard to come with them or not.

When I look underneath the oven, there's a space and I can see the back if I use a mirror. Either side of the oven has cupboards - no space to the left and right. It looks like it has been fitted into a mount somewhere that I can't see.

I will try to take a picture.
Old 21-08-2011, 20:22   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: How to Remove Propane Stove / Oven ?

It does sound like an upgrade, I think Cals came with alcohol stoves back then. The only Cals I messed with were the 25' (I think) flush deck and they were all alcohol..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 09:28   #6

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by exordium View Post
Hello,

I've got a propane stove and oven that the last boat owner didn't use, and when we hooked it up, we're pretty sure it leaks. Either way, the oven part doesn't work, and we would like to put in a woodstove. Trouble is, I don't know how to uninstall a propane stove and oven. It's all invisibly hidden at the back, and I don't know what everything is that comes out from the back. I've been told you have to do it properly, rather than just hack at it...heh.

Any ideas?

thanks

Just curious but did you mean to say you are replacing your propane stove/oven with a wood burning unit? Is this for cooking or heating purposes?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:54   #7

we are putting in a woodstove for heating the boat with. It's the best place unless we tear out seating, or the cold box. We've got a 2 burner moveable stove which we can use when we need it and doesn't take up much space. And it's getting closer to the end of summertime, which is when I'd rather put a hole in my deck for the woodstove piping :P
Old 23-08-2011, 11:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by exordium View Post
we are putting in a woodstove for heating the boat with. It's the best place unless we tear out seating, or the cold box. We've got a 2 burner moveable stove which we can use when we need it and doesn't take up much space. And it's getting closer to the end of summertime, which is when I'd rather put a hole in my deck for the woodstove piping :P
Watch for holes melted in your canvas and sailcloth, as well as soot...!, Just sayin'... nothing as nice as wood heat on a stormy day though...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, propane, removal