Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 18:56   #1

HR352 Propane / Anchor Chain Locker

Hello,

We recently purchased an HR352 and I'm just getting familiar with the systems on board and what we need / want to change.

I'm having great difficulty locating photographs of the forepeak locker where Hallberg-rassy originally intended for the dual 6kg propane tanks to be installed. I understand the boats didn't originally ship with tanks, but a spot for them was prepared. I'm hoping someone can provide me with photographs of the installation on their boat, or perhaps direct me to a spot on the internet where I can view it.

I'm also interested in any situations where someone has installed a North American standard 20# tank. I'm trying to see how it was safely done; keeping it away from incoming anchor chain.

Thanks in advance!
SVJOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 19:18   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: HR352 Propane / Anchor Chain Locker

Propane tanks in the US have to be vented to the exterior of the boat. One solution is to use a galvanized tank, and mount it astern, so if it leaks, it vents over the stern. This a common solution in Australia.

Sorry, I have no access to HR pics. It is only a proven way around that works for many.

Ann
Old 11-02-2019, 19:25   #3

Hi JPA Cate , thanks for the reply!

Hallberg-rassy designed the locker to vent/drain outside the hull above the water line.

It's the physical mounting of the tanks themselves that I'm most interested in seeing.

Cheers,
Old 12-02-2019, 07:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Details and photographs are normally based on one specific yacht, but could be a compilation. No reliance should be placed on other yachts of the same class being identical.
You might ask Hallberg-Rassy:
Sweden Phone: 46 - (0 )304 54 800
Or one of their Worldwide Dealers: https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/conta...und-the-world/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Propane tanks in the US have to be vented to the exterior of the boat. One solution is to use a galvanized tank, and mount it astern, so if it leaks, it vents over the stern. This a common solution in Australia.
As far as I know, there are no "galvanized" propane tanks in normal boat sizes.

Methinks the poster is actually looking at an Aluminum tank and just thinking it is galvanized?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Details and photographs are normally based on one specific yacht, but could be a compilation. No reliance should be placed on other yachts of the same class being identical.
You might ask Hallberg-Rassy:
Sweden Phone: 46 - (0 )304 54 800
Or one of their Worldwide Dealers: https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/conta...und-the-world/

I emailed Hallberg-rassy and they said this information was not available, and directed me to Google [emoji2957]. Crazy.

Indeed I’m only interested in HR352 specific installation. I’m quite surprised this information isn’t more easily available, but that is what happens when one gets spoiled by the vast availability of information on the internet in general!
Old 12-02-2019, 08:43   #7

The HR352 standard specification states in relevant regard:

Loose equipment:
One anchor, 50 lbs, folding fisherman. One anchor line 100’.

Accomodation:
Water and gas tight locker for liquid gas bottles, anchor chain below. The space is accessible from deck and drained overboard.

Which specification essentially means that they did not engineer or equip their boats for proper anchor / rode or gas bottles. They left such loose and accomodation equipment attributes for the customer to customize.

And as their email reply indicates its up to you to determine. Do realize that they just sale boats, they don't sail them.

Reference: https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/filea...ardSpecEng.pdf
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:49   #8

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The HR352 standard specification states in relevant regard:

Loose equipment:
One anchor, 50 lbs, folding fisherman. One anchor line 100’.

Accomodation:
Water and gas tight locker for liquid gas bottles, anchor chain below. The space is accessible from deck and drained overboard.

Which specification essentially means that they did not engineer or equip their boats for proper anchor / rode or gas bottles. They left such loose and accomodation equipment attributes for the customer to customize.

And as their email reply indicates its up to you to determine. Do realize that they just sale boats, they don't sail them.

Reference: https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/filea...ardSpecEng.pdf
I wonder if the bow locker is for addition gas storage and there is another propane locker aft.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:56   #9

The HR352 owners manual indicates the storage locker was specified for holding two 6kg [12#] propane gas bottles [Euro bottles], not 20# American standard tanks.

Reference: https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/stati...uctionsEng.pdf

Relevant snipet copied and attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hr.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	185774  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I wonder if the bow locker is for addition gas storage and there is another propane locker aft.
No not per the boats specification or the boats owner manual.

But there is specified an "anchor locker aft on deck." but the manual does not indicate if such aft locker is draining or vented overboard. Proper venting is CRITICAL Propane is heavier than air so the vent should be at the bottom of the storage locker and it must not be plugged from venting overboard e.g. by covering the opening with a rode or by sealing from the bottom of the bottle.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:14   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If you do install the gas bottles in the anchor locker and still use it for ground tackle please inform any crew before they come on board...

Converting the bow locker to a dedicated anchor locker may be reasonable but make sure the drains are big enough and that you use alloy bottles because they will get regularly washed in sea water when it comes through the drains (any valves will stop gas draining). Gas bottles stored in lockers have caused fatalities and below deck installation is even more risky

Much more sensible is to put them on deck attached with a line and a quick release. In the event of fire ditch then overboard immediately and use the line to recover them later. Make certain there is a shut off before the gas line enters the boat and it is used EVERY time the gas is finished with.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:14   #12

I have a Rasmus model HR. My 20# tank is in the anchor locker. I have converted to American gauges, regulator and solenoid vale. hose is connected to the original copper gas tank. I keep the chain off the Aluminum gas tank by placing a piling cone cap on top of the tank
normanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:37   #13

Join the Yahooo Hallberg Rassy users group. An incredible amount of useful information from H-R owners how have “been there and done that”. Some very knowledgeable owners who are generous with their knowledge and time.
sailful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
HR352 Propane / Anchor Chain Locker

^^^^ What he said. I am a member of the Tartan group on Yahoo and FB. There is almost always someone who has addressed the problem you have (advantage of buying classic plastic).
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:43   #15

Thanks to all for the replies.

With the boat being an ‘84, even though HR designed the locker to hold propane tanks, it is clear that opinions and standards have changed with regard to the safety of the close proximity of the ground tackle. I can see this issue clearly and it is something I will address in future refit.

I’ll definitely check out the groups mentioned above.

Thanks again!

Tags
anchor, propane