Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 21:45   #1

pirate HRO seafari watermaker

Looking to buy a boat equipped with a 2006 HRO watermaker. The present owner bought the boat about 12 months ago and has not used the watermaker.
I would like to check it out before I buy the boat.
The watermaker is pickled at the moment, could somebody please advise how to unpickle it and then repickle it.
I asked the HRO dudes and they suggested I get a marine electrician, he quoted 4 hours to pickle and unpickle plus $60 for the pickling solution. I can understand those hours if he lived in a nursing home or Sherwood Forest but he is in an Australian Marina.

Can't be that hard, marine electricians arn't smart. Please help

Happy Days Sailing
Frankie
Marine electrician
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 00:33   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: HRO seafari watermaker

Just grab the manual and follow the step by step directions. They all have it listed. It isn't hard. The pickling compound is probably on the boat.
A year is a long time to leave it pickled.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:47   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

An 11 year old HRO watermaker. Present owner never used it? I agree with Paul L. try it out following the manual. But don't make an offer on the boat that is in anyway based on the watermaker. At best, an 11 year old HRO in good working condition is worth between $500-$1,000 at best. You could easily drop three times that much into it in the first year.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:27   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Remind me to never buy anything from HRO.

This process should be well-enough documented that anyone could do it, and even then their TS should be willing to hold your hand and walk you through it the first time.

I bet if you arranged a convenient time with Rich Boren at Cruise RO in Escondido, CA, he would do so, knowing you'd end up buying from him next time.
Straight shooter, incredibly helpful, not at all oriented around maximising short-term profits.

Rich@cruiserowater.com
cell 619-609-3432
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker