Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2021, 20:14   #1

Boat: Catalina 270 LE
I don't know $#!t about my head

New owner of a 2005 Catalina 270. The previous owner did not use the head for the 3 years he owned the boat. Instead he used a portable toilet. I looked over all the visible seals and all seems to look fine, no dry rot or cracking. My understanding is dry pump is for liquid and if you have bigger business you switch to wet pump add some water then switch to dry to drain the bowl. First is this correct? Second I bleached the water tank">fresh water tank and was pumping the toilet, along with all faucets running water to drain the fresh water to speed up the process. I thought that I had filled the black water tank because every time I would pump the toilet dry a few minutes later it would gurgle and liquid would back flow back into the toilet. I had the black water tank pumped figuring I had filled it with my fresh water pumping the toilet so much. The next time I used the toilet liquid I switched to dry pump and emptied. A few minutes later gurgle gurgle again. Is this operator error or mechanical?
Old 13-06-2021, 20:29   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: I don't know $#!t about my head

Frequently you have to put in several vigorous dry pumps after the bowl in empty to drive everything up and over into the tank, especially if the tank is a fair bit higher than the bowl. And if the bowl is backfilling, it's probably time to replace the joker valve.

It also pays to do a few wet pumps even if it's just pee since you don't want to leave any pee , even diluted sitting in the line - that's the prime cause of calcification in the system.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 20:35   #3

Stop guessing and buy this book:

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/sear...&kw=boat+odors

Not only is it great info, she's a superb person, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 07:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Sounds to me like you have a blocked holding tank vent. Insects, especially mud daubers, love to build nests in vent thru-hulls.

All tank vents have two main functions: to provide an escape for air displaced by incoming contents and provide a source of air to replace contents as they're pulled out. When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing. This explains the gurgling. And a toilet that hasn't been used in several years is likely to have dried out rubber parts etc that'll cause other problems,

So I'm gonna second Stu Jackson's suggestion that you buy my book (see link in my signature below, just click on the title). It's title--my publisher's idea--is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And because no book can have the answer to every possible problem, I'm always glad to answer the questions mine doesn't.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 07:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the kind words, Stu. I suggested he use the link in my signature instead of buying my book from sbo.com 'cuz Amazon's price is usually a bit lower and shipping cost is lower...free if he has Amazon prime.

--Peggie
Old 14-06-2021, 08:34   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Peg,
All your suggestions are great, but if I were to title your book maybe it would have been, Sh.. happens, I can help you fix it!". (could be just the tag line)
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 09:35   #7

As a new boat owner I would recommend that you invest in several books. First on the list is Peggy's Boat Odor book. As previously mentioned it is the "potty bible". If you have brightwork, then get Rebecca Whitman's "Brightwork, the art of finishing wood". Nigel Caulder's book, "Boat owners mechanical and electrical handbook" also belongs on your bookshelf.
Good luck.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 09:51   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
.........My understanding is dry pump is for liquid and if you have bigger business you switch to wet pump add some water then switch to dry to drain the bowl. First is this correct? Second I bleached the fresh water tank and was pumping the toilet, along with all faucets running water to drain the fresh water to speed up the process. I thought that I had filled the black water tank because every time I would pump the toilet dry a few minutes later it would gurgle and liquid would back flow back into the toilet. I had the black water tank pumped figuring I had filled it with my fresh water pumping the toilet so much. The next time I used the toilet liquid I switched to dry pump and emptied. A few minutes later gurgle gurgle again. Is this operator error or mechanical?
Congratulations on your new sailboat!!

In dry pump mode you are pumping liquid out of the bowl and in wet pump mode water is brought into the bowl on each down stroke and sucking water out of the bowl on each up stroke. Suggest downloading the head manual for reference. Bleaching the fresh water tank and flushing the potable water tank was a good idea as a new boat owner when you do not know the system condition. If the toilet is slow to empty out of the bowl.....or comes back into the bowl on every upstroke of the handle.....it’s likely that the joker valve on your discharge elbow is faulty.

You might these articles helpful: https://www.boattrader.com/resources...l-marine-head/
https://www.robinsonplumbing.com/mar...u-need-to-know
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 09:51   #9

I battled this problem myself. I got fed up and finally solved after I did 2 things.

1) Replace entire toilet. More affordable then I thought. I even paid some one else to do it they knew what to do and how to do it.
2) Pump out holding tank more frequently. It surprised me how quickly it fills up especially if your pumping the waste through properly.
Tigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 10:28   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
New owner of a 2005 Catalina 270. The previous owner did not use the head for the 3 years he owned the boat. Instead he used a portable toilet. I looked over all the visible seals and all seems to look fine, no dry rot or cracking. My understanding is dry pump is for liquid and if you have bigger business you switch to wet pump add some water then switch to dry to drain the bowl. First is this correct? Second I bleached the fresh water tank and was pumping the toilet, along with all faucets running water to drain the fresh water to speed up the process. I thought that I had filled the black water tank because every time I would pump the toilet dry a few minutes later it would gurgle and liquid would back flow back into the toilet. I had the black water tank pumped figuring I had filled it with my fresh water pumping the toilet so much. The next time I used the toilet liquid I switched to dry pump and emptied. A few minutes later gurgle gurgle again. Is this operator error or mechanical?
Probably a good first step for you would be to buy a copy of Peggie Hall's book. She's the local expert in all things sewage related.

Whoops, looks like I was too slow (as usual)
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 10:33   #11

Boat: Formosa 41'

Have you gotten any complaints yet?v=83WIDuukR0Q
jimjimmyjimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:31   #12
Marine Service Provider

"Flush With Success" was my working title, but he thought more people would buy a book with a title that promises to teaches 'em how to make their boat stopping stinking than would buy a book with a title that focuses on how to use and maintain their toilet. And apparently he was right, 'cuz the first edition was released in 2003 and was still selling when the 2nd (current) edition was released in 2016.

I think I'd prefer "Doodoo Doth Occur" to your suggestion.

--Peggie
Old 14-06-2021, 11:42   #13

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
"Flush With Success" was my working title, but he thought more people would buy a book with a title that promises to teaches 'em how to make their boat stopping stinking than would buy a book with a title that focuses on how to use and maintain their toilet. And apparently he was right, 'cuz the first edition was released in 2003 and was still selling when the 2nd (current) edition was released in 2016.

I think I'd prefer "Doodoo Doth Occur" to your suggestion.

--Peggie

I didn’t know you were looking for retitling suggestions, but how about, “Get A Head And Be Happy”. Or “Life Is Easier For The Effluent”.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 16:33   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
......I bleached the fresh water tank and was pumping the toilet, along with all faucets running water to drain the fresh water to speed up the process. I thought that I had filled the black water tank because every time I would pump the toilet dry a few minutes later it would gurgle and liquid would back flow back into the toilet. I had the black water tank pumped figuring I had filled it with my fresh water pumping the toilet so much.
Your fresh water system should have nothing to do with the head on a 27' boat. The head flushes with salt water.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 09:17   #15
Marine Service Provider

Mitiempo is correct...your toilet is a manual toilet, designed to use sea water, pulled in through a below waterline thru-hull. NO manual toilet--or any toilet not specifically designed to use pressurized fresh water--should ever be connected to the fresh water system.

--Peggie

Tags
head