Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 14:06   #91

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Ice Box Conversion to Spill Over Fridge/Freezer

Put another 1" of Polyiso in the freezer section:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	157908

Also mocked up the freezer space so I can better visualize it:

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	157910

The actual freezer should be higher by two inches and extended aft by two inches, making about 1.5 square feet.

This will require another two inches of insulation in the forward side (total of six inches, R35ish) and along the hull (total of six, except for some parts which can only take four total), four inches aft and on the bottom (total of eight inches, R40+) and four inches on top (R22, unless I go Aerogel for R40).

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 14:13   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Layered in 2 more inches of Polyiso on the sides, so the box is now fully lined to 3 inches (except for the top/lids):

Attachment 157904

The fridge side will get a last layer of 1" XPS. Going to add one more inch of Polyiso to the freezer side and check measurements again before deciding whether I do another layer of Polyiso or finish it with XPS.

Did you intend to say 1" of XPS to the FREEZER...that's what I would recommend.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 16:03   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

Nope, said it right, at least to me. The last layer on both the fridge and freezer will be XPS. I'm just ready to do it to the fridge now. Need a few more layers of Polyiso on the freezer side before finishing with the XPS.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 17-10-2017, 16:05   #94

Quote:

Unless you are suggesting I just finish the fridge with Polyiso rather than XPS...

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 17-10-2017, 16:23   #95
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Nope, said it right, at least to me. The last layer on both the fridge and freezer will be XPS. I'm just ready to do it to the fridge now. Need a few more layers of Polyiso on the freezer side before finishing with the XPS.
yep....you are right.
The innermost layer inside the box is the XPS.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 16:46   #96

I am now starting to think about how I should do the liner.

I was originally going to buy a sheet of fiber reenforced plastic or a PVC like 4' x 8' sheet to use. However, practically getting such a sheet to the boat is difficult as the only car I have access to is small. I'd have to make rough patterns at the boat and cut the sheet on the parking lot. The other difficulty will be getting a tight fit because none of the sides are square. Making and cutting a precise pattern is probably beyond my skill.

My new plan is just to epoxy fiber glass to the last layer. I can buy fiberglass of a roll here at the boat yard and I have lots of West Epoxy. This method would ensure a tight fit and one that is waterproof. It might even look nice once it is sanded and painted. Downside is that it is time consuming and messy.

There other options I should consider?

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 17-10-2017, 16:47   #97

Quote:
yep....you are right.

The innermost layer inside the box is the XPS.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm thinking two more days of insulating and I'll be done, except for the top/lid. I need to measure to see how much Aerogel will cost.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 18-10-2017, 03:43   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

The lids I build average 100 dollars of Aerogel . Your lid looks bigger but I would estimate under 200$ should do it . Imagine the cost of doing the entire box .
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 03:49   #99
Marine Service Provider

For the box liner I build moods outside the box , easy to make it smooth and round the corners . Then cut it in half slid it in place and glass it back together. Only one seam , easy to sand in the box . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	157954Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	157955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	157956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	157957Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	157958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	157959

Regards John
Old 18-10-2017, 05:47   #100
Marine Service Provider

Lol this is what happens when you post from your phone . I build molds not moods ! To late to fix the typos lol

Regards John
Old 18-10-2017, 08:32   #101

Boat: Kaufman 47

Well this is good timing for us, we are have to completely gut our reefer area as well. We originally ripped out the old foam(looked very similar to yours) and sprayed two part foam. Then the underside of the sole where the reefer sits is still condensating like crazy so we then added two more inches of polyiso on the bottom and angular side where the cold plate lays plus another layer of Fiberglass and epoxy. Still condensating under the sole and around the side door badly. So now we're going to pull off the counter and rip it all out and start fresh.

I was wondering what Rich and John recommended for a liner. We were thinking of having one made of stainless steel so it will be sturdy and waterproof and can take a beating. We got the idea from the book Care and Feeding of a Sailing Crew by Lin Pardey. Is there something wrong with this? I'm honestly tired of glasswork haha! We would also do away with the side door, as convenient as it is, we feel it's more a hassle.

We would shoot for 4 inches and 6 for the freezer side where we can fit it. It will definitely be tough to get the large 4" thick cold plate to fit in the reduced inside space..

Falling eggs, it's looking great! How hard was pulling the counter off the top? And how are you planning to do the top insulation? I figured aerogel would be a good fit for the hatches.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 08:32   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Lol this is what happens when you post from your phone . I build molds not moods ! To late to fix the typos lol

Regards John

Didn't even recognize.

Still don't think I can build a mold in the way you have. The shape is just too odd. But maybe I can fit the final layer of XPS, take it out and reassemble it outside, and apply fiberglass on the inside. Would have to then cut the XPS/fiberglass to get it back in the fridge, but some additional Epoxy would fix that. This is more or less what I was thinking above, except that I can do the fiberglassing and sanding outside and with better access from the top.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 18-10-2017, 08:39   #103

Got the final layers of Polyiso installed in the freezer:

Name:	IMG_1097.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	157973

Final thickness with the XPS will be 4" along a narrow band along the hull, to 7"+ everywhere else.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 18-10-2017, 08:43   #104
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Didn't even recognize.

Still don't think I can build a mold in the way you have. The shape is just too odd. But maybe I can fit the final layer of XPS, take it out and reassemble it outside, and apply fiberglass on the inside. Would have to then cut the XPS/fiberglass to get it back in the fridge, but some additional Epoxy would fix that. This is more or less what I was thinking above, except that I can do the fiberglassing and sanding outside and with better access from the top.

Its a bugger of a job to sand the corners when the liner is in place , been there done that . As you say you may be able to do the sanding with the liner out , that would be much preferred method.

Regards John.
Old 18-10-2017, 08:47   #105
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Well this is good timing for us, we are have to completely gut our reefer area as well. We originally ripped out the old foam(looked very similar to yours) and sprayed two part foam. Then the underside of the sole where the reefer sits is still condensating like crazy so we then added two more inches of polyiso on the bottom and angular side where the cold plate lays plus another layer of Fiberglass and epoxy. Still condensating under the sole and around the side door badly. So now we're going to pull off the counter and rip it all out and start fresh.

I was wondering what Rich and John recommended for a liner. We were thinking of having one made of stainless steel so it will be sturdy and waterproof and can take a beating. We got the idea from the book Care and Feeding of a Sailing Crew by Lin Pardey. Is there something wrong with this? I'm honestly tired of glasswork haha! We would also do away with the side door, as convenient as it is, we feel it's more a hassle.

We would shoot for 4 inches and 6 for the freezer side where we can fit it. It will definitely be tough to get the large 4" thick cold plate to fit in the reduced inside space..

Falling eggs, it's looking great! How hard was pulling the counter off the top? And how are you planning to do the top insulation? I figured aerogel would be a good fit for the hatches.

Stainless liners are great , even better then glass. If you can get it in and don't mind paying for the fabrication . I have removed a few of them to reinsulate , thats a noisy job with a cutoff saw , buts thats the only disadvantage I can think of .

Regards John.

Tags
freezer