Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 05:44   #16

Re: Ice in the bilge? Sad story. Or not?

Used to have a boat where there was part of the bilge you could never get fully dry. I always dumped about 1/2gal of antifreeze in when finishing the fresh water system.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't find the leaks and seal them but would be a quick stop gap measure.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 05:44   #17

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Is it a keel stepped mast? If so, water very well be coming down the mast. I have a deep bilge, with a constant upward pitch from the non-submersible bilge pump to the discharge point. I installed a garboard drain in the keel, at the low point of the bilge sump area, and that keeps the bilge drained when on the hard. The bilge discharge hose would freeze, the pump over heat and blow a fuse. The drain was a big decision, putting another hole in the boat, one that can't be accessed from inside, but so far so good. Fitting came from Buck- Algonquin.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 06:34   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Used to have a boat where there was part of the bilge you could never get fully dry. I always dumped about 1/2gal of antifreeze in when finishing the fresh water system.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't find the leaks and seal them but would be a quick stop gap measure.
Good suggestion. My boat is old, and I always end up with some water in the bilge. It is what it is... So, I always dump a jug of antifreeze in there as part of our normal winterizing process.

By all means, do try and source all the leaks, but if freezing is an issue in your area, a bit of antifreeze in the bilge will solve any potential ice problems.
Old 29-12-2020, 07:14   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Depending on the environment the boat is stored in, you can get some water from condensation. I've noticed the last 2 winters that my boat will slowly make a small amount of bilge water when we get a lot of large temperature swings. I've seen condensation both on the outside and inside of the hull depending on which way the temperature is changing. And I know the water isn't from leaks in my case, as the boat is stored indoors (unheated).

I also dump a jug of -100 antifreeze into the bilge after getting as much water out as possible. That way any water still in there and anything new that gets in won't freeze.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 07:41   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

Good feedback everyone, thank you.

Keel stepped mast, mast is up. Canvas cover starts aft of mast. (sewing part 2 this winter). I know a couple of the stanchions need re-bedding, and one port leaks slightly. There was no obvious sign of water in the cabin anywhere above the floor boards. We did have 10 inches of snow, then a melt and a day of heavy rain. It looked like the float switch couldn't trigger due to the thin ice layer. Antifreeze is a suggestion I'll take til I can investigate in spring.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 08:30   #21

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

You don't mention your bilge pump. Got one? Operational?

Boats leak. Even condensation is enough to fill a bilge over time if you're off the boat long enough.

Gotta have an operational bilge pump, always. And use something to help keep the cabin minimally dry and warm while you're off the boat, such as a dehumidifier or even an incandescent light or heat lamp.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 08:58   #22

Check cockpit drain hoses, add a gallon of plumbing antifreeze to the bilge for winter.
It is the freezing and melting of snow in the cockpit.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 08:59   #23

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
Antifreeze is a suggestion I'll take til I can investigate in spring.
You probably already know this but... use RV/propylene glycol (the pink stuff) not automotive/ethylene glycol (the green stuff).

My 2 cents worth: based on my experience with my old Hunter, I'd install a bilge drain (garboard plug) and leave it open so the bilge can freely drain all winter. (That's what I wound up doing.) If that isn't feasible, I'd flood the bilge with antifreeze (until you can install the plug). Bilge water in my Hunter penetrated the glassed in stingers; the freeze thaw cycle caused the glass to separate from the wood, and was a major headache to repair. Also, if you can't install the plug, make plans to inspect the boat regularly to make sure the bilge level stays below the cabin sole. Even without topside leaks, the boats can sweat on the inside of the hull, and that moisture collects and builds up in the bilge.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:10   #24

Boat: Tartan 37
Ice in the bilge? Sad story. Or not?

Sounds like you narrowly avoided disaster.

Water leaks are not uncommon during winter storage as canvas is removed and sometimes the boat sits crooked causing drains to not function properly.

Any boat stored on the hard should have a drain plug. It’s cheap insurance against a whole host of issues.

If you don’t have time to install one now, at least drill a hole in the keel and install one in the spring.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:12   #25

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

Not that i know bugger all but have you checked your water tank levels, hoses etc. Could be summat simple?
Dave
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:22   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
On the hard, fresh water. We've had lots of rain but this A LOT.
I doubt you have a problem with only 1/8 inch of ice. Find the deck leak.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:31   #27

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

And cockpit locker that do not seal completely can let in a lot of water. Ask me how I know. I gather discarded shrink wrap in the spring and use it with butyl tape to seal the lockers in the winter. Voila!
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:35   #28

Find the leak to the interior!
Consider putting tarp over the boat.
How thick was the ice? IF just some on top of the water no problem.

Common interior leaks:
-Toe rail bolted on.
-Mast boot?
-Running inside the mast to the bilge. (If keel stepped/no real way to stop this but it's usually pretty minimal)
-Companionway leaks (cover it with a small tarp)

Other solutions:
Install a garboard drain low in the bilge. Leave it open when stored. Get one with a hex wrench plug that mounts flush. I've seen a number of boats destroyed from water ingress while stored.
https://www.amazon.com/SEACHOICE-187...77832996&psc=1

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:37   #29

Boat: C&C 37

Standard procedure if there is freezing weather around - get a jug of Plumber's Antifreeze and pour some in the bilge or anywhere water may collect. Non toxic (used for household plumbing). Does not have to be 100% if water accumulates. Easy to clean out in the spring - or whenever.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:50   #30

Boat: Pearson 10M

I installed a garboard drain plug on my Pearson 10M decades ago.
Originally installed to make washing the bilge out (while on land) easier. It's also good insurance against the winter freeze ups we experience in the North East.
There are good Pearson specific groups on Google Groups and Facebook.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge