Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 09:22   #61

Re: Ice in the bilge? Sad story. Or not?

Are there water lines that could have frozen and then burst? Then leaked during a warmer period?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:27   #62

I didn’t see whether you vessel is is a slip or is otherwise in the water. If it is, I’d definitely check to see if it’s salt water in the bilge. That’s got to be determined in order to know if it’s because of a thru hull problem or due to precipitation. If it’s precipitation, I would attempt to mitigate the leak. Due to mold and fungus issues, I am less enthusiastic about tight wrapping with a tarp or shrink wrapped methods.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:41   #63

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
That’s why God invented covers.
The worse damage occurs when water gets into crevice cracks on deck and freezes.
I agree. Living in the NE, Mine gets covered every winter and still some water makes to the bilge. I also throw about a gal of antifreeze in to be on the safe side.

As I was told when I got my first boat years ago.. Its a boat, they leak. I've accepted that.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:47   #64

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Others have recommended a cover so I won't repeat it. You didn't indicate if the boat was in the water or blocked for the winter. The approach to leak discovery has a different route with the different situations. If on the hard, it might be to your advantage to leave the drain plug out for the winter. If one has not been installed, it's an item stocked by marine supply outlets. They're easy to install. If the boat is in the water and you believe the leak is below the waterline, use a shop vac to get the bilge dry then check all parts of the hull, hoses, connections, engine, etc. If the leak isn't located below the water line, dump a few buckets of water on the deck then look for wet spots and obvious leaks. A flashlight is helpful for this process.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:00   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

Great feedback, thank you everyone. For clarification:

1. Boat is on the hard, canvas covered from the mast back, cockpit is not exposed.
2. Fresh water tanks, hot water tank and all lines were emptied
3. Engine was winterized
4. I even took my drinking water off!

I've had the boat 3+ years and this is the first time this has happened....to my knowledge. Initially I used bilge pump along with some bailing (time was an issue). Third trip back (after briefly considering installing a spy cam to see who was hosing down my boat) I bailed by hand thinking maybe the pump discharge line had cracked/broken and the same water was somehow finding its way back in. I also added antifreeze.

I hadn't thought about the angle of the boat, and anchor locker is exposed. Also a few stanchions need re-bedding, and we have had rain. Still I am surprised at the amount of water. Less rain ahead as temps drop but I'll be checking her regularly.

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:27   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
On the hard, fresh water. We've had lots of rain but this A LOT.
With a keel stepped mast you can ship lots of water especially if the rain comes from the wrong direction. We used to get five to fifty gallons in our large deep sump. It comes down the mast or at the mast partner + a few others. For cold storage always add RV antifreeze available from Home Depot or many other hardware stores and even grocery stores.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:32   #67

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
On the hard, fresh water. We've had lots of rain but this A LOT.
No Stress!!!

Just drill a hole in the bilge so the water can drain out!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 13:30   #68

Boat: Malö 42, 43.1ft

Sorry for your bilge nightmare! Bilge water is a hair raiser!
Since it was on the hard and you had ice, could it be a frozen watertank or hot water tank you perhaps forgot to empty?
If leaks from deck or deck joints, someone once gave the tip to draw a line along the inside hull at suspected leaks with a water soluble pencil, to find the exact spot. Of course not easy to do behind liners but..........
Best of luck!
Photonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 14:27   #69

Boat: Morgan 452

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have some input on your solution. I work for a sailing school that includes two cruising boats in the inventory, both 31s (sister boats). Both of them leak somewhere near the mast when the rain comes at a certain speed and the wind blows from a certain direction. Change the direction by 90 degrees or drop the rainfall amount by a quarter-inch per hour and the leaks do not occur. I have been chasing these leaks for three years and I hope to finally fix them when the masts are pulled for inspection next year.

One of the biggest problems is that I can't tell if I have fixed the problem until I get exactly the right conditions - which is when I discover I have not.

Do what you can, fix what you can, and hope for the best - but understand that, as someone said before "boats leak." Some more than others, some earlier than later but eventually....
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 16:05   #70

I have a newer (2014) Blue Jacket 40. Last year was my first winter outside. It had a brand new cover that worked with the mast up. I too was surprised when I found a surprising amount of water in the bilge. The only place I could figure it came from is down the mast. The mast deck seal was tight, but the openings for the halyards were my only possible entry point. I had removed the halyards and run messengers to replace them. This year I pulled the mast and plan to confirm whether it was the culprit. And yes, you should cover your boat! Ice is not your friend!
pjnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:47   #71

Boat: 1979 53' Skookum Staysail Pilothouse Schooner Schooner

The water in your bilge may be from broken water lines. Even though we live in coastal NC and don't have the freezing problem as others' North of us, when we leave the boat, we always turn off the water pressure, drain the water lines at each faucet and leave the faucet in the galley open. This way, if we do have a hard freeze and the water lines freeze, they are less likely to crack or break from ice in the lines.
ShebaMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:32   #72

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
I am a newbie LOVING THE SAILING LIFE and hoping for gentle responses....

I swung by the boat this week and thankfully decided to go down below to check things out. To my surprise the bilge was FILLED with water (and a coat of ice on top) to within 1/8 inch of the sole. I spent 2+ hours clearing all the water and ice.....soaked jeans, frozen fingers and yes...some swear words.....all happily (?) to save my boat. But WTH ??? The whole time I was bailing I was wondering if it was in vain. Is this normal? Where did 5+ gallons of water come from? Did this happen last year but I just missed it? Am I going to post this and get laughed at? Does water always come in, freeze and melt? Am I a clueless sailor?

Sooo, cut to the chase. Did I mess up my bilge? What has been compromised? Does ice do damage to anything? What did I miss? And to those paying attention yes, I did post earlier (proudly) that my bilge was bone dry. Karma. Amiright?
what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:53   #73

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

What doesn’t kill us makes us wounded, banged up, bruised and scared for life.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 15:11   #74

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.
Was there any water left in a water tank that might have frozen, split the tank, then run into the bilge at the next thaw,
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 16:39   #75

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I skimmed all 73 responses, but still I might have missed it.

Most concentrated on the question -- the source. I'm joining the crowd that said it comes down the mast. If you have the mast up (here in Maryland, USA, no one pulls the mast for the winters), it can add a lot of water in a rainstorem.

Several suggested as a precaution a garboard drain. The "pro" answer.

I'd like to suggest that, even if not the "pro" answer, that you remove the speed transducer. This should be below the cabin sole, is free, and can be done tomorrow. Yes, you can still get water -- but it should never get to up to any frames.

My first big boat came to me, on the hard, with water at the cabin sole. Lot's of rot, lots of work. It was on the hard 4 years before I bought it. If they had pulled the speedo, or on this boat with a centerboard, there was a plug for pushing down a jammed centerboard that could have been pulled, there would have been no rot.

A garboard drain is the pro answer. But the speedo plug is about 75% as good.

Harry
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge