Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 17:07   #76

Re: Ice in the bilge? Sad story. Or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, given that the boat is on the hard and it must be fresh water then you do need to find the source, however the installation of a garboard drain plug at the lowest point of the bilge may well prevent damage in the future.
I agree on garboard drain plug. We installed in keel sump of our J Boat. Kept the water out in storage and made it easy to flush bilge after haul out.
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 17:18   #77

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Is the source your Fresh water tank leaking from a frozen hose. Hot water tank not drained? I worked for Pearson...good boats. Keep it covered, best spar down.
Check the hull is draining. Garboard drain a good idea. Tiny bit of food dye will help find leaks but there are some fluorescent leak detection chemicals which will help you trace the leak. You need a light, the chemicals, but it will show a tiny leak. It’s a great boat. Go visit it in winter and try to keep it dry inside. When boats were wood, even with a good heavy canvas cover, a cold dry day and a little sun and fresh air made spring cleaning easier. I’m not a big fan of shrink wrap with no ventilation. Any way to get some heat? Dry inside means a lot less electrical issues and mold.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:05   #78

All boats eventually leak, your Pearson included. Part of life, to be "managed" -
Check your Bilge much more frequently!
COLD WEATHER OPTION: Garboard DRAIN plug
On the Hard, in the Winter, in Freezing Climates, install a small Drain Plug. Then IF and WHEN a leak developes at mast boot, shrouds, ports, etc. OR IF Your life changes and prevents your checking the Bilge, not to worry Your Bilge WILL BE almost dry and safe. An inch or less of ice/water below the drain plug should not hurt the keel, although Ice Expands when frozen and CAN do damage to pumps and sea clocks...
On a boat similar to your older fiberglass Pearson, I would install (West Marine + others, Garboard Drain Plug)) a 1/2 "-NPT Square Headed Bronze Drain Plug only. I would reject using the supplied companion Female bronze collar and 3 wood screws for the sake of simplicity, and Carefully TAP the tapered HOLE directly in the fiberglass hull using fresh RTV silicon rubber sealant or Teflon Tape each time replaced.

Additionally TO PROTECT the exposed Square Head Plug sticking out from being Hit by Floatsum, and to Reduce Drag, I would file away about half the head length, and dress the edges. IF you fear SomeOne might overtighten the drain plug then the Collar might be a Safer route and alittle more idiot proof.
Have a Pro do the work if you are not equipped to PROPERLY locate, drill and tap (Lightly) ) a 1/4"-20 NPT (20 threads per inch)(National Pipe Thread) tapered HOLE at a low point in your fiberglass keel.
Use a light hammer to "sound" the keel for a low spot. Not critical if alittle High.

ALSO. I would do 2 things.

1. Buy a SPARE Extra Plug and Store it in a Highly Visible labeled Bag to be Clearly Displayed Whenever Plug is REMOVED.

2. STREAMLINE and Protect the exposed vulnerable Plug Head, FIBERGLASS a Low Density Epoxy Filler Horizontal Truncated TEARDROP Water and Floatsum Deflector to the keel immediately Ahead of the Plug Head. I recall using 3-4 in. Long. X 3/4" wide, finger shaped Peanut Butter Density WEST System Fairing Filler to form the Teardrop cut off just 1/4" ahead of the plug, to allow an open end wrench to work the plug in/out from the rear.

Murphy's Law #1,
If the Taped hole stripes out, a 3/8" NPT plug could be fitted, next size up. Or the hole filled and relocated.
WARNING:

Drain Plugs Are OFTEN LEFT OUT at Launching causing all kinds of problems. I would Tie Wrap my Spare plug to Engine Ignition Key when in Dry Dock and write on MASKING TAPE near plug hole REMOVED!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:24   #79

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Welcome.
Was there any water left in a water tank that might have frozen, split the tank, then run into the bilge at the next thaw,
A great consideration.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:11   #80

Hinckley Company in Maine stocks a bronze garboard plug.
It’s a few more dollars, but when your below the waterline it’s worth every penny. The plug itself is flush and recessed to receive a wrench socket head only to loose or tighten.
searoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge