Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 18:03   #1

Boat: catalina 38
Icebox Conversion Question

I am in the middle of an icebox conversion, have just put in two layers of 1" blueboard. I am looking at different ways to go for the inside. I've wouldn't mind fiberglassing and gelcoat however I think the resin wouldn't go well right over the blueboard. Is there an inexpensive solution anyone has found for a membrane to go in between the blueboard and fiberglass? I have considered thin wood or plastic. I've also seen others skip the fiberglass and finish the inside with sheetmetal. Any advice appreciated, thanks! pete
offgrid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:13   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: icebox conversion question

You can buy finished fiberglass panels at home depot (bath), cut them to fit and glue them on. Then just seal the seams. If you want to glass it, polyester resin will dissolve blueboard, but epoxy is fine.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 18:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: icebox conversion question

what about taken the lining out of an old fridge and cut to size..then spray with a can of that stuff advertized on tv that seal everything ..one CF member posted a product called "Polyeurea" I think and they say it is bullet proof and will seal anything..it was expensive but others said there was other products that were similar..just a thought..good luck DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 07:20   #4

Boat: catalina 38
Re: Icebox Conversion Question

I ended up glassing with epoxy, came out great, thanks for the advice!
offgrid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 10:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I found it easiest to cover my insulation with a thin layer of plywood that I had well sealed and then epoxy coats to finish
Old 14-03-2014, 20:49   #6

Boat: Morgan 33 O/I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I found it easiest to cover my insulation with a thin layer of plywood that I had well sealed and then epoxy coats to finish
I'm building an icebox for our Morgan 33 O/I, and just ran across this thread. Wonder if I can pick your brain a little...

It's a glass cloth and epoxy resin over a plywood insulated box construction. I've been told I can just use something like Pettit Old Salem 2018 clear sealer. However, I've also been told by System that I need to seal the ply with a laminating resin before glassing, otherwise the glass / wood bond would be starved. What did you use as a sealer, and how did it work out?
AD 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 23:14   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD 2 View Post
.................... However, I've also been told by System that I need to seal the ply with a laminating resin before glassing, otherwise the glass / wood bond would be starved. What did you use as a sealer, and how did it work out?
I did not write my description well. When I said "well sealed and then expoxied" it implies more materials than I actually used. I had cut my plywood boards to form the sides of my box with a close fit. They were fine sanded and then tapped in with a mallet. After this I cleaned the surfaces of the bare wood with acetone and brushed on a layer of epoxy. I repeated the epoxy coatings and then added white pigment to my fainal two coats. This gave me a final expoxy coating inside my box that is about 1/16" and thickened to a 1/4" where it's rounded at the seams in the corners. I did not use any fiberglass cloth and my purpose was only to make a smooth white surface for easy cleaning,- nothing structural. It has suited me well with no cracks or water intrusion from inside the box with cycles of frost and defrostings. I don't recall for sure, but I think I used that "C-flex" epoxy that is marketed to supposedly retain more flexibility in it's final cure. Good luck!

Tags
icebox