Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 18:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
igloo koolatron test

Here is the data I have so far I am looking to do a pielter cooling system in my ice box I will upgrade my insulation to at least r20 but before I cut holes in it I ran a test with the koolatron it draws 4 amps so it will use 96 ah running how it is designed. I have hooked it up with a digital thermostat to control the temperature in the unit. Maintained 4°c inside ( the temp that is recomended for milk) while the ambient temp was 18°c over a three day test run I had about a 40% duty cycle which cuts the power usage to about 38 ah and with a 100 watt solar panel I still have a little way to go but I'm hoping that going from the coolers r5 insulation to my smaller iceboxes r20 will get me under the 30ah point which will become manageable for those times when I actually need refrigeration.

Ideas suggestions or recommendations
Almost forgot all of the pielter parts are /were free to me.
Old 11-11-2016, 13:15   #2

Boat: macgregor 26
Re: igloo koolatron test

Hi Newhaul,

I've played with the same idea. If you plan to use the unit in warmer environments your performance will greatly degrade. The Pieter system will only maintain a certain temperature difference, regardless of your insulation, between the inside and outside of the unit. Looking up some specs should confirm this. If keeping 4deg is your criterion you may be disappointed.
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I'm not in any way disalusioned about the unit . Used to keep one of these babies in my truck.
One part of the final install that isnt shown in these results is the hot side when installed in my ice box will be in the space below the sink that in mostly sides to the bare hull below the waterline. The temp in that locker is basicly the same as the seawater that I'm floating in which when I checked it two days ago was 53 degrees.
Last summer the warmest water I saw was 63 degrees.
I realise if this boat goes south so does the efficiency and effectiveness of this system.
I have even conciderd doing a freon based heat pipe. ( But that would take money and I'm cheap)
I have 100 watts solar and I have all led lighting so my power usage is well under 5 ah per day
Looking to use the extra power constructively.
Edit : the specs for the pielter plate I'm going to use state a 40°f temp difference
Old 11-11-2016, 16:44   #4

Boat: macgregor 26

It will help to get as good a thermal bond with the hull that you can. Heat sink compound used for electronics is a good choice. Also a bit of caution on the 40 deg. delta T, that is a plate surface to surface temp at 100% power. It is not a good indicator of the cooling capability. You probably saw this with the cooler in the truck. If an item was not already cooled before them it took a long time to draw the temperature down. The unit would work at 100% power all this time.
MAC-A-TAC is offline   Reply With Quote