Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2020, 12:15   #16

Re: In tank UVC sanitizer. Does anyone make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If the LEDs are outputting the correct wavelengths that matter for killing bacteria, then yes, they will.
Which of course leaves the question: Are LEDs the right wavelength!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:20   #17

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

you can specify which wavelength you want, LEDs aren’t perfectly monochromatic, but close.
I used them to fluoresce hydrocarbon contaminants in soil and groundwater, and even 5 years ago, there was a wide selection of choices available. They weren’t cheap back then, but I expect prices have cone down appreciably.
I can’t remember the name of the outfit I sourced them from - UVTOP?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:39   #18

Boat: Outremer 55L

Rather than in the tank, why not just sterilise the water as it’s pumped out? Like this unit: https://www.nzfilterwarehouse.com/product/1353646
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Rather than in the tank, why not just sterilise the water as it’s pumped out? Like this unit: https://www.nzfilterwarehouse.com/product/1353646
One way to do this would be to use a unit like that from a generator once a day filling a "day tank" of sterile water.... if you have a gen set..then your water wouldnt be hot. However, not sure about the life of the bulbs if you turn them off and on....
That's similar to the SS one I had but mine was only like $200 US with no filter housings.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 13:03   #20

Boat: Hunter 37C

I simply add some chlorine into the tank every now and then have a 5 followed my a .5 micron filter after the pump that removes pretty much everything, including the chlorine.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 13:27   #21

I have an inline 12V UV-LED (with activated charcoal pre-filter) filtration system on my boat as a point-of-use dedicated faucet in the galley. It turns on automatically when you turn the faucet on. Works very well, uses practically no power since it only turns on while water is flowing through it. It has a flow restriction device to keep the flow within its treatment specs. The pre-filter cleans up the taste and removes any heavy metals, turbidity, chlorine, etc while the UV-LED kills any and all nasties. I got mine from from a tech startup in Vancouver Canada - https://acuvastore.com/products/pre-sale-eco-nx-silver
codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 13:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The problem is that does nothing for growth in the tanks and piping
I disagree, Ideally it will kill bacteria and organisms that cause grow. UVC kills the reproductive ability of these cells. Dead cells dont grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Another problem would be that it would degrade plastic based tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
water absorbs UV in a very short distance, so it would take many light sources.
You could in theory disinfect an empty tank though, still need a source on either side of any baffles though.
I had not considered those aspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A UV water purifier does NOT remove particles, nor remove bad tastes and odors from water, so, you’ll still require some sort of pre-filtration (5-10 micron), to remove particulates (turbidity), to prevent pathogenic microorganisms from hiding behind loose particles.
Also, what a64pilot said.
Of course filters are still needed for the junk and taste. Just taking about killing virus/bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Which of course leaves the question: Are LEDs the right wavelength!
Yes. UVC Leds exists and are MUCH more power friendly than the old tube style, Last longer, and less fragile. Here is an example of such LED Wavelength 277nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Ohm View Post
I simply add some chlorine into the tank every now and then have a 5 followed my a .5 micron filter after the pump that removes pretty much everything, including the chlorine.
Just an FYI 0.5 micron filter will not stop chlorine, your still drinking it or its evaporating. Safe chlorine levels are anything under 6ppm. Luckly it evaporates quite quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codger View Post
Looks like the way to go in an existing product.
jack4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The problem is that does nothing for growth in the tanks and piping
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack4566 View Post
I disagree, Ideally it will kill bacteria and organisms that cause grow. UVC kills the reproductive ability of these cells. Dead cells dont grow.
I'd suggest listening to sailorboy. It's difficult to impossible to eradicate bugs just by flushing with even sterile water. Many bugs specifically have defenses to survive water flushes, or even antibiotic attack by forming a little shell over the colony. UV could knock down bug concentrations at point of use, but what is all this gaining over traditional bleach/filter? Do people who use UV routinely bleach/nuke the whole system? If so, why add UV, if not, invariably more stuff is just going to grow in the tank (that may/may not give a problem).

FWIW, study on point of use UV in a hospital:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...4313549500048P
Efficacy of ultraviolet light in preventing Legionella colonization of a hospital water distribution system
Abstract
We performed a controlled evaluation of ultraviolet light irradiation of hot and cold water supplies in a hospital colonized with Legionella by inserting the u.v. units near the “point-of-use”. Showers on one wing of a hospital were supplied with u.v.-irradiated water. Showers on another wing and 20 other outlets served as controls. Cultures prior to the installation of u.v. units showed all outlets to be heavily colonized with L. pneumophila. Despite disinfection of incoming water by u.v., Legionella in established niches of the plumbing system continued to survive. Superheat/flush and chlorination was then applied prior to u.v. activation. Although cultures became negative initially, recolonization occurred after I month. Scale accumulation on u.v. lamps had compromised the efficacy of u.v. irradiation. Filters were added to prevent scale accumulation on the u.v. lamps and the u.v.-supplied showers remained Legionella-free. U.V. plus prefiltration can prevent Legionella recolonization for at least 4 months after disinfection if the u.v. units are installed near the “point-of-use”. Disinfection must be directed not only at incoming water, but also at established niches within the existing plumbing system. The advantages of u.v. include easy installation, low expense, and no adverse effects on water or plumbing.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:09   #24

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

What about the ones used in aquariums?

https://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=9420

Might work?
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:10   #25

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I have one on my water maker supply line. It is energized by the water maker when supplying to the tanks. You could run a bypass line from the end of the supply run and put a circulating pump to the tank and let it circulate for an hour or two. I use two on my swimming pool for sanitation. Check the internet. Carbon filter will take are of sediment.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 04:44   #26

Why don't use that small effective UVC water tubes right after the tank outlet, energized by the same source as the water pressure pump?
Maybe in addition to the UVC tube and filter right before the tab in order to kill the very few bacteria who passed? Maybe a two stage "big" filter System after the 1st UVC tube right after the tank outlet? IMO the best way to keep it all clean, means all hoses and pipes. Depending on the pressure pump and its installation maybe in the sucktion line or in the pressure line...
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 04:46   #27

So called "bypass filter unit". Very common and effective in hydraulic systems.
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 07:10   #28

Boat: Bristol 38.8

The issue with UV-C ‘tubes’ is they are low pressure mercury vapor (LPMV). Like fluorescent lighting, they are delicate and have large amounts of mercury, not a good mix on a boat and especially in contact with water systems. You might also have some issues with the electrical connections, not to mention the high starting voltages requires to initiate the excitement of the internal gases that emit the UV-C
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 19:42   #29

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplight View Post
The issue with UV-C ‘tubes’ is they are low pressure mercury vapor (LPMV). Like fluorescent lighting, they are delicate and have large amounts of mercury, not a good mix on a boat and especially in contact with water systems. You might also have some issues with the electrical connections, not to mention the high starting voltages requires to initiate the excitement of the internal gases that emit the UV-C

And the water needs to be in contact with the light for a long time. Used one on a 3500 gal fish tank. More trouble than it was worth.
Old 25-01-2021, 22:33   #30
cruiser

Ultraviolet rays act on the genetic material of biological cells, which is DNA, to destroy the DNA and cause the death of bacteria; in addition, ultraviolet rays of a specific band can interact with oxygen in the air to produce a strong oxidizing sample, thereby killing bacteria, and it really work.
b710049732 is offline   Reply With Quote