Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2023, 13:43   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Inline Water filter?

I'm using a 22-cup ZeroWater dispenser to filter water coming out of my water tanks for cooking and drinking. It does a good job but I'm tired of having to stow it underway so it doesn't come crashing down on the cabin sole.

Anybody recommend an inline filter system that can be hooked up to a spigot?

I'd set it up as an alternate output for the galley sink. So, washing is done with tank water, but cooking and drinking done with filtered water. Some of the systems I see are pricey and take up a lot of space.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 16:03   #2

Re: Inline Water filter?

We installed the seagull quick change filter and spigot,

https://www.seagull-filters.com/product/420400-nature-pure-quick-change-with-faucet/

Absolutely love it, takes any off tastes out of the water and fits nicely under the counter. We run a regular canister filter for our entire domestic water system, and then have this plumbed in after that so the water goes through the main filter first and then the seagull filter, which makes the more expensive filter last a long time.
Highly recommend, worth the expense.
Sailingspensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 16:55   #3

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingspensi View Post
We installed the seagull quick change filter and spigot,

https://www.seagull-filters.com/prod...e-with-faucet/

Absolutely love it, takes any off tastes out of the water and fits nicely under the counter. We run a regular canister filter for our entire domestic water system, and then have this plumbed in after that so the water goes through the main filter first and then the seagull filter, which makes the more expensive filter last a long time.

Highly recommend, worth the expense.

Totally agree, the Seagull water filter system just works. Filters aren’t cheap, but there are a couple of companies that make replacement filters that are a bit cheaper.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 17:58   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I have always use the Filtrete or similar from hardware stores.

They make ones for refrigerator ice makers that are just the right size for filtering boat drinking water.

This type of thing

https://www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Unde...01478487&psc=1
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 18:54   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

We use a Brita Water filter faucet mounted carbon filter - , very handy and keeps track of use, has 3 functions, filter on, filter off, Vegie sprayer. If you have a mixer type faucet then do not run very hot water with filter in the on position.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Brita-Filt...%2C287&sr=8-19
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 19:14   #6

I've been using this filter for at least five years. It meets the highest NSF/ANSI 53 standard - far above the filtering of your current countertop system. It is much less expensive and lasts much longer than the Seagull which was revolutionary when it first came out 30 years ago but water filter technology has come a long way since. The Pentek fits in any standard 10" undersink filter housing and lasts much longer than the Seagull.

Understand that none of these systems will remove all bacteria like a watermaker reverse osmosis or UV treatment will. The best way to do that is by filling the tank with good quality municipal water (which has been treated) or by adding a small amount of bleach (1.5 teaspoons of standard bleach per 100 gallons of water will treat to 1ppm chlorine which is a typical municipal level). I add the bleach even when using the watermaker to keep anything from starting to grow in the tank. You really can't smell or taste 1ppm but the filter will take even that small amount out for drinking. Once a year use a stonger bleach solution to "sterilize" the tank.

My boat water tastes so good that friends comment how they love the water on my boat. I don't allow bottled water onboard - which saves a lot of money and means I don't have to lug cases of water and empty bottles back and forth from the boat.

Freshwatersystems.com is a good place to get the housing, tubing, and connectors you'll need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 19:48   #7

Thanks for the great suggestions.
Old 24-05-2023, 19:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I've been using this filter for at least five years. It meets the highest NSF/ANSI 53 standard - far above the filtering of your current countertop system. It is much less expensive and lasts much longer than the Seagull which was revolutionary when it first came out 30 years ago but water filter technology has come a long way since. The Pentek fits in any standard 10" undersink filter housing and lasts much longer than the Seagull.

My boat water tastes so good that friends comment how they love the water on my boat. I don't allow bottled water onboard - which saves a lot of money and means I don't have to lug cases of water and empty bottles back and forth from the boat.

Freshwatersystems.com is a good place to get the housing, tubing, and connectors you'll need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Is this the system you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC2RLMRT/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1

You linked to the filter but not the system. I'm just confirming this the correct model.

Tags
water