Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 10:13   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Installed New 12v LPG Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVsunyata222 View Post
That was the insight I was looking for. I definitely missed the Low Pressure variable of the puzzle. Also I will dig into that recall and mfg date on mine. I believe I bought the solenoid circa 2018.

Since I'll be rearranging components,.....

Tank, Regulator, Solenoid, Gauge.

Safety wise I would think I would want the Gauge on the downstream side of the solenoid so that I can see that the fuel is shutoff. Also the pressure in the lpg tank doesn't change until empty so it serves no purpose next to the tank. ..correct?

Again, many thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Gauge first, you must place it first in the stream, so you can pressurize the system then shut the tank valve, and wait for a pressure drop of 5 psi in 30 minutes.
This process is nessessary for leak checks, per ABYC standards.
Be sure to check the fittings with soapy water sprayed upon those fittings.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 21:35   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Having had the diaphragm in a propane regulator develop a small hole and leak the entire contents of a 20# bottle at a very inconvenient time, I’ve never understood why marine propane solenoids were ever installed on the low-pressure side of the regulator. It’s easy, and incidentally cheaper, and I think safer to buy propane solenoids for the high-pressure side.
I agree. We sell only high pressure solenoids and always recommend that they be placed before the regulator. I have always trusted a solenoid more than a regulator.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 21:41   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Gauge first, you must place it first in the stream, so you can pressurize the system then shut the tank valve, and wait for a pressure drop of 5 psi in 30 minutes.
This process is necessary for leak checks, per ABYC standards.
Be sure to check the fittings with soapy water sprayed upon those fittings.
Boatyarddog
I disagree. To check for leaks you should do the following.

Open solenoid. Light stove burner to allow propane to fill run to stove. Shut off stove. Close tank manually. Note the pressure reading. Over a period of 3 minutes watch gauge to see if the pressure drops. If it does not drop all is good. If it does drop check system with soap solution for leaks before using.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 13:10   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVsunyata222 View Post
That was the insight I was looking for. I definitely missed the Low Pressure variable of the puzzle. Also I will dig into that recall and mfg date on mine. I believe I bought the solenoid circa 2018.

Since I'll be rearranging components,.....

Tank, Regulator, Solenoid, Gauge.

Safety wise I would think I would want the Gauge on the downstream side of the solenoid so that I can see that the fuel is shutoff. Also the pressure in the lpg tank doesn't change until empty so it serves no purpose next to the tank. ..correct?

Again, many thanks for steering me in the right direction.
I have mine mounted on the HP side, but it is a HP solenoid.
Please check this thread, particularly Post #2 by Maine Sail. You may be able to find these HP AFC solenoids (#151) locally.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...est-99866.html
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 18:46   #20

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I wonder about the wisdom of installing the remotely controlled shut off solenoid valve between the gas cylinder and the regulator rather than the more common location just before the propane leaves the propane locker.

The propane locker is by its design made to safely handle a propane leak within the locker. It is sealed, contains no source of ignition, and it drains overboard from the boat. That differs from the interior of the boat which is contains multiple sources of ignition and has as its low point a bilge with no drain.

In my thinking, my solenoid valve is designed to keep any propane gas from entering the interior of my boat at any time that the gas is not being used within the boat.

We are on our boat right now traveling south on the ICW in North Carolina, and I tried a little experiment. I lit a single burner on my stove, then I stopped the gas flow first by closing my solenoid valve which is in my gas piping just before it leaves my propane locker. The flame on the stove went out in one second. Next, to approximate a solenoid valve installed between the propane cylinder and regulator, I quickly closed the cylinder valve. It took twenty-one seconds for the flame to extinguish. My burner is advertised as 7500 BTU/hr or 2.1 BTU/sec, so in the 20 second difference in burn time represents 42 BTU more propane gas could leak into my boat from a closed solenoid valve on the high pressure side of the system than from a closed solenoid valve on the low pressure side. 42 BTU is 32,683 ft-lb. The same as dropping 327 lb 100 ft.

I am not sure that departing from the normal arrangement of the remotely controlled solenoid valve just before the propane leaves the propane locker is from a safety point a better idea. Sure, you could burn off the 20 seconds of propane by always leaving a burner burning and shutting the high pressure side solenoid to stop the flow, but would everyone... always?
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote