Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2023, 09:22   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Installing a Deawoo Mini washer/dryer combo

Looking for any and all advice, recommendations, opinions, etc on the install.

Also looking for anyone who is currently using one on their boat. Does is shake a lot on spin cycle, any hiccups with using the machine etc.

I won’t be at the boat until February 25th. But hoping to get some ideas! The boat is a 2018 Beneteau 38.1

Thank you

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 10:35   #2

Re: Installing a Deawoo Mini washer/dryer combo

To late to edit the post. But here is a link to the Daewoo I bought. I didn’t buy it from this vendor though. I bought it off eBay.

https://koreaemarket.com/product/dae...tion220v-only/
Old 17-02-2023, 10:38   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Sam,

We don't have a Daewoo washer, so I cannot comment on your model specifically. But we do have lots of experience with similarly sized Splendide units (we have a 20 year old unit in our current boat, and had one in a past boat.)

A few things we have learned / done over the years include:
  • Use only HE laundry detergent, and only in the amount recommended (Splendide says not to exceed 2 tablespoons/load. They are right: more than that will require multiple repeated rinse cycles... from hard experience...)
  • We add about 1/4 cup Borax, and about a teaspoon of unscented Oxyclean to each load. Works great to whitten and remove odors from working clothes (e.g., diesel, etc.)
  • We rarely run the dry cycle even though our unit has a 4" dryer vent. Our synthetics come out of the machine almost dry and are ready to put away after hanging in the cabin or outside- Wx permitting.
  • Install with a sump or where a leak will drain into the bilge instead of a cabin.
  • When the unit's waterpump died, I replaced it with a US$30 1" solenoid activated valve to drain the washer into the bilge. (The bilge remains spotlessly clean and sweet...)
  • Keep the door gasket clean. Munge can grow in creases and folds over time if allowed to...
  • Don't force a locked door open. Discover how to get it to unlock if stalled mid cycle (e.g, GFI outlet trips, etc.) Our unlocks if we unplug it for about a minute (or kill circuit breaker) and re-open. If full of water, I first have to drain it via the lint trap as the door won't unlock with water inside...

Enjoy your new washer. It makes all the difference...

Cheers, Bill

PS: I hope yours is easier to install than ours. The POs of our boat had to cut the new unit in half to get it into the midship cabin- where it remains in very active use today...
Old 17-02-2023, 13:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Sam,

We don't have a Daewoo washer, so I cannot comment on your model specifically. But we do have lots of experience with similarly sized Splendide units (we have a 20 year old unit in our current boat, and had one in a past boat.)

A few things we have learned / done over the years include:
  • Use only HE laundry detergent, and only in the amount recommended (Splendide says not to exceed 2 tablespoons/load. They are right: more than that will require multiple repeated rinse cycles... from hard experience...)
  • We add about 1/4 cup Borax, and about a teaspoon of unscented Oxyclean to each load. Works great to whitten and remove odors from working clothes (e.g., diesel, etc.)
  • We rarely run the dry cycle even though our unit has a 4" dryer vent. Our synthetics come out of the machine almost dry and are ready to put away after hanging in the cabin or outside- Wx permitting.
  • Install with a sump or where a leak will drain into the bilge instead of a cabin.
  • When the unit's waterpump died, I replaced it with a US$30 1" solenoid activated valve to drain the washer into the bilge. (The bilge remains spotlessly clean and sweet...)
  • Keep the door gasket clean. Munge can grow in creases and folds over time if allowed to...
  • Don't force a locked door open. Discover how to get it to unlock if stalled mid cycle (e.g, GFI outlet trips, etc.) Our unlocks if we unplug it for about a minute (or kill circuit breaker) and re-open. If full of water, I first have to drain it via the lint trap as the door won't unlock with water inside...

Enjoy your new washer. It makes all the difference...

Cheers, Bill

PS: I hope yours is easier to install than ours. The POs of our boat had to cut the new unit in half to get it into the midship cabin- where it remains in very active use today...
Wow, thank you for your post! I do sincerely appreciate it. I’ll heed your advice. I’m super ecstatic about having a washer!

Thanks again

Sam
Old 17-02-2023, 14:31   #5

Boat: Southerly 480

A couple of youtube sailers installed the unit:

We're looking to add the same unit eventually. Please report back on how it works out!
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 15:13   #6

shimari, thank you for the post. I’ve watched all I could find on YouTube. There is actually a install video somewhere on YouTube made by Daewoo I believe. It was interesting in a since. They showed the washer being installed onto a concrete wall.

Thanks again for the suggestion

And I’ll report back once I get it installed. I just need to find the right spot to hold the weight of 50 lbs and take some vibration.

Sam
Old 02-03-2023, 18:25   #7

Hello. Great info. What boat did you install the Splendide ?
Telmabv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:15   #8

Boat: Brewer 44

Any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Looking for any and all advice, recommendations, opinions, etc on the install.

Also looking for anyone who is currently using one on their boat. Does is shake a lot on spin cycle, any hiccups with using the machine etc.

I won’t be at the boat until February 25th. But hoping to get some ideas! The boat is a 2018 Beneteau 38.1

Thank you

Sam
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:58   #9

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

I have the Daewoo since 3 years and runs flawlessly in my cat, the same in my mono before for 2 years.
It needs 2 things:
1) install location must be solid as depending on the load it brings swinging frequency onto its base. Best is a bulkhead, in the mono I simply drilled through and used big 5cm washers. On the cat I installed mine in the bow cabin on the panel that’s covering the water tank. I made a frame from 50mm x 50mm wood and laminated the bottom and top piece to bottom on hull and to deck on bottom. The 2 middle parts can be taken out in case I need to remove the water tank. Then I putted threaded rods into the wood frame where the Daweoo is mounted on. The panel is sandwiched in between the Daewoo and the mounting square of wood. This gives it a solid base and if loaded correctly hardly any vibs in the cat.
2) the drain is by gravity and need to be minimum 30cm from bottom of the washing machine downwards. First used the anchor locker drainage but that was only 10cm below the machine and didn’t work well as a 90 bend out. I ended up rooting a pipe into the guest head using an empty seacock under the washing basin. That was a pain under the steps down in the hull and also making sure it always goes downwards.
In the mono that was much easier and installed above toilet so I used the same seacock then the toilet just below it taping into it with an y- connector.

Don‘t connect it to your warm water boiler unless you have really enough and always hot water. Done that on the mono and changed it to the cold water.
You tend to overload and you will feel it in the whole boat when you do so. It can withstand it but I wouldn’t try not to. It also reduces the washing quality if it’s too full. In the beginning I used powder, then fluid detergent but I switched to pads which gives me the best washing results and is also easiest to handle.
You can save money by only getting the washer and leave the dryer function away, it’s pretty useless as using a lot energy and makes the machine heavier. Had that dryer in to mono and got the one without for the cat.

It’s expensive but without hesitating a second should buy again. Same as the Dyson vacuum cleaner and my Balea mini dishwasher. All 3 makes live and the dreaded household stuff so much easier. The dishwasher makes the galley so much cleaner as everything dirty goes right away in it and saves significantly water compared to hand wash, which I hate :-) so 2 bunnies at the same time. The Dyson is the only vacuum that really cleans well and with its hepa filters also the air while hovering, handy and small plus one battery load is exactly enough for my complete 40ft cat.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote

« perko seacocks | - »