Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2023, 10:47   #1

Installing a fridge door

I have a whitby 42 with a large top loading fridge. There are 3 levels within it, so I need to remove the stuff on top to access the lower shelves. Also, it is so deep that my wife and I can't reach the bottom....

I would like to cut a door in front so that I can access the bottom 2 shelves.
Yes, I am aware of the cold air spilling out when I open the door....but food also gets warmer when I have to unload the fridge to access lower layers so I figure it balances out.....

I was considering a big heavy door with the traditional heavy latches, but when I was at a boat show and talking to a guy from Novakool he said I could just buy one of their doors with the door frame.

This would make it way easier to install....cut a hole, patch the edges, screw in the new frame and door. But, it is a boat so this will take a few days, lots of swearing, reevaluating life's choices, etc, etc....

What is the best way to patch up the sides of the cutout as I don't want to show the exposed insulation (I also need something solid added in to screw the frame into.

Any thoughts on this?
DenisHeinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 12:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Re: Installing a fridge door

it WILL be a project- yes it could be done as long as there are no structures holding shelves etc where you want to put in the new door-- i believe i would put in a frame of something like 2x4 that had been coated with epoxy- put in vertical members first and glue/glass them in then the horizontal ones.- might as well put some SS corner braces on them as well then add the door. i have been very tempted to do the same but since i have over 6 inches of insulation, i decided that i didnt want to compromise that by a door that will not be as insulated and will add another seal area to the box- will be curious how it works out though please post an update to let us know- best of luck.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote