Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2020, 10:07   #16

Re: Installing a washing machine - which one?

On board my catamaran I installed a washing-drying machine 6kgs from LG. It works in 220 ac and gives us great satisfaction for 8 years. Even in Polynesia the dryer is sometimes very useful when the humidity is high.
The interest of this machine is the depth of 40 centimeters which gives the possibility of installing it in a cupboard. The problem is the price is a bit high.
Folavoalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 10:24   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folavoalh View Post
On board my catamaran I installed a washing-drying machine 6kgs from LG. It works in 220 ac and gives us great satisfaction for 8 years. Even in Polynesia the dryer is sometimes very useful when the humidity is high.
The interest of this machine is the depth of 40 centimeters which gives the possibility of installing it in a cupboard. The problem is the price is a bit high.
What model is that? I've been looking for a 240v washer dryer under 46cm deep for ages and can't find one
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 10:47   #18

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Look at top loader, after years with a front loader installed in a difficult place to use it and it took 2 people all of one day to get it off the boat, a top loader in a space that once housed a heater worked much better......as noted above I never used the dryer part of my front loading washer/dryer combo....also there are many top loaders from cheap to expensive and from Europe or Asia......as noted above get one with a good spin cycle.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 10:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Sorry to hear about the issues you've had. Fortunately, since I installed this one about a year ago, I have not had a single issue. My choices were very limited due to physical size reasons, not just the space where the unit is installed, but it also had to fit through bulkhead doorways to get it where it needed to go. The Splendide was the only one I could find that would not require cutting bulkheads to get it in.
Years ago! Thanks, and come to recall now it was a Caribe model and newly introduced. 110 and the poster here is looking for a 220 which will likely be better. Hope your splendide has resolved that issue and Im sure it has that super high spin that the little european washers have, which nearly eliminates the need for dryer totally.

Yeah, I had to cut out my companionway bulkhead to get the Electrolux into my compartment and it involved a major minor remodel! But well worth the wonderful convenience and savings at the laundromat!

Nothing like a boat with full laundry on board, especially if you live aboard full time.
doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 12:41   #20

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

The best washing machine is a Rub-Board, and an Old Fat Country Gal to operate it. They never wear out and they require no electricity.

Senior Chief, United States Navy Retired
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 12:50   #21

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus View Post
The best washing machine is a Rub-Board, and an Old Fat Country Gal to operate it. They never wear out and they require no electricity.

Senior Chief, United States Navy Retired
Do you think the “Old Fat Country Girl” would agree?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 13:03   #22

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

You can find a Daewoo wall mounted mini washing machine on the market. Limited in capacity, no dryer.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 13:56   #23

pirate Re: Installing a washing machine - which one?

I favor the time-tested put items in a net bag, and drag them overboard as you sail for a few hours. Then rinse them out with as little water as possible.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 21:27   #24

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
Hi

I am about to retire and am buying a new stock Bavaria from the local dealer. The boat is quite well specified but there are a few additions I am planning to make. One of which is to install a washing machine as we plan to sail the med, mostly at anchor, and will have limited access to a laundry facilities. Also so it's a pain humping washing forwards and backwards.

Looking at most installations on yachtmarket boats, Miele seems to be common but they are expensive.

My question are what would you recommend? does it matter what manufacturer? is there a certain specification I should look for? do I need a washer dryer giving we are in the med? are there any special features to look for in a boat installed washing machine? are there any tips on installation?

Any advice appreciated.
We have a Baby Nova installed on our Beneteau Oceanis 50. European brand, fits perfectly inside one of the aft cabin lockers, and takes a couple of double sheets and pillow cases without trouble. Would not be without it. It was factory fitted, and worth the extra over doing it ourselves.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 23:43   #25

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
You can find a Daewoo wall mounted mini washing machine on the market. Limited in capacity, no dryer.
There's a new one that dries too, but hard to find and only 110V. I'd buy one in a shot if there were a 240v version
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 02:33   #26

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we live aboard our cat. looked at all the expensive options (many over $1000) and eventually settled on one of these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5KG-Mini...QAAOSw7dFevAc5

$200 or so...been going 2 years now & super happy with it. bigger than most of the expensive ones...

cheers,
Old 29-09-2020, 03:28   #27

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5KG-Mini...QAAOSw7dFevAc5
$200 or so...been going 2 years now & super happy with it. bigger than most of the expensive ones...
I was looking at that kind of machine as well, but: they all don't seem to heat the water? Do you cook up hot water and pour it in?

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 15:43   #28

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
I was looking at that kind of machine as well, but: they all don't seem to heat the water? Do you cook up hot water and pour it in?

Paul
true, they don't heat the water. but we've always washed in cold water (even when we had a land home) so no problem for us

i suppose if you wanted to wash in hw, you could either boil the kettle or more likely just fill the washing machine fm the boats hw system

cheers,
Old 29-09-2020, 16:02   #29

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Bosch 24” front load. Quiet, excellent washing. Reliable. Not a lot of water.
Big stuff we take ashore. Can’t say enough about how great the Bosch works.
220 volt, same as dryer used 50% to washer.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his fashionable manatees.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 17:24   #30

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Have been very happy so far with my Camec 4.5 kg front loader. It can do all the double bed linen in one go. Only 40 litres of water used and a few AH of battery bank power if doing a cold wash.

I also know somebody here who has the Daewoo wall mount and loves it, though it is a little smaller.

Tags
washing