Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 14:10   #31

Boat: 33 Dufour GibSea
Re: Installing Strainer for AC

Man I'm glad you told me that. I thought how can you open the seacock and not flood the boat? I'm not visualizing what you're saying, but it's way better than what I would have done!

Thanks.

Michael
Goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 23:34   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The subject of using a fine screen external strainer in place of an internal strainer has come up. At my last haul out I installed a Groco APHS series hull strainer but left my internal strainer in place. I recently rebuilt my internal strainer and realized I hadn't cleaned it since I installed the fine mesh external strainer. There were a few tiny oysters in it. I think they had grown in the thru-hull when the boat sat for a period of time and broke loose when the engine started again. I'm going to keep both for now but it sure would be nice to get rid of that big internal strainer.
Groco Perforated Hull Strainers (APHS series)
Old 29-07-2016, 17:31   #33

Boat: 33 Dufour GibSea

Stupid question, but here goes.

Could I just install the strainer and lay it on its side?

It's the lazy way but who is counting?

Thanks.

Michael
Goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 17:44   #34

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A backflush is just that, disconnect the hose from the exit thru hull, connect a garden hose to the hose and with the AC off, let the water flow, flushing out the system backwards from normal flow, if something got stuck in there, this is an excellent way to blow it out.
I take both the exit hose and the hose that feeds the AC before the pump and stick them in a five gl bucket. I have a couple of extra hose to make this happen.
Fill the bucket with one gl of Muratic acid and the rest water, turn on the AC and let the mix circulate through the AC for a couple of minutes, water will heat rapidly some form the action of the acid and some from the AC of course.
Disconnect hoses, dump acid overboard and run the AC normally.
You'll be surprised how much "stuff" flushes out almost immediately when the acid mix hits it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
This definitely works. I did it two years ago. The bucket wound up with all kinds of black blobs floating around. The AC unit worked much better afterwards. I did the same with my water cooled fridge compressor.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote