Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:23   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC
Insulated AC ducts necessary?

Hi all - I really want to reclaim some of the storage space that’s taken up by all the ductwork for my fwd AC system. (The unit is under the head of the v berth and takes up half of the lockers it runs through) I’m wondering if it would be stupid to use uninsulated ducting. The aft system ducts are in the engine room, so it makes sense to have those insulated.

The issue may be condensation. And in Houston this might be significant, but not sure.

Or maybe there is a type of ducting that is better suited.

Wondering if anyone has tried other kinds of ducting?

Thanks!

Steve
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:20   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Insulated AC ducts necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmorrell View Post
Hi all - I really want to reclaim some of the storage space that’s taken up by all the ductwork for my fwd AC system. (The unit is under the head of the v berth and takes up half of the lockers it runs through) I’m wondering if it would be stupid to use uninsulated ducting. The aft system ducts are in the engine room, so it makes sense to have those insulated.

The issue may be condensation. And in Houston this might be significant, but not sure.

Thanks!

Steve
Yes you need insulated ducts. But you could build your own from rigid foam with aluminum liner as sold in sheets, making rectangular ones that have an equal cross section for flow but minimize space occupied in lockers. For example, you can make then narrow and wide.

This leaves how to connect to them… this is where 3D printing shines. I’m sure there’s services that can make the adapters when you provide accurate dimensions

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:41   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Insulated AC ducts necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmorrell View Post

Thanks!

Steve

Yes.

To avoid condensation you need to do one of two things, same as AC in a house with ducts in a crawlspace or attic:

• The insulation must have a vapor barrier and the vapor barrier must be well sealed to the duct at the ends (best for flexible ducting).
  • The insulation must be absolutely non-absorbent (closed cell) and bonded tightly to the duct with no air space (best for rigid).
  • Self-adhesive neoprene insulation tape is good for little spots on rigid duct (but not flexible).
A combination of both methods is usually required.