Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 14:35   #1

Insulating a C&C 34 Ice Box

Hello All,

I purchased a refrigeration unit for my icebox. I have been told the most important thing is to ensure the icebox is well insulated. Has anyone insulated an ice box on a C&C 34? I have been told there is very little insulation and I am wondering what is the best method to insulate.
Mike Schattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 17:49   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I'm not familiar with the insulation on your boat, but having done a couple of rebuilds to boat iceboxes, I'd totally gut it and start over. That's the only way you will KNOW what's in there. Also if your boat is over ten or so years old, today's insulation products are a lot better than when your boat was built.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 18:42   #3

Isulating C&C34 Ice Box

The boat is a 1979, I was hoping that there was an easier way. One recommendation was to drill 2" holes thru the teak panel beside the ice box and pouring in a two part insulation foam. The counter top is all one piece. The piece includes the sink and continues on into the cabinets as there base. The other idea was to drill 2" holes high in the ice box and pour the foam in, not sure if I have to build a dam some where in the base to stop the foam from going into the bilge. Still hoping for a simplier solution.
Mike Schattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 13:17   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Hi Mike, when I was installing mine (c&c38 '76), I realized that insulation was poor to none. Those cheap production facilities and tight budgets!
Drilling holes in the icebox didn't turn out to be that bad. Didn't need to drill on the side facing the engine compartment.
I took the cabinet drawers out and added a bunch of blueboard, about 4-6 inches or so on the side facing the engine, and anything I could add in the back. I used the expanding foam from home depot and sealed everything else. The performance was much better after I added that expendafoam through the holes in the icebox. I used the foam with medium expantion. a total of 1 can did the back and starboard side.
I also liked Richard Collemans reccomendation to put styrofoam packing material into ziplock bags and put them on top of the food.

about 6 hours after my initial startup I had frozen medallias on the bottom of the fridge. This was Puerto Rico.
Then the next day i had ice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	5047  
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c, c&c 34