Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 09:03   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS
Intermittent Refrigeration

Looking for a little help with my Fridgeboat air cooled system. The fridge stopped working for about 24 hours. I was able to get it going again after letting it sit for about 60 min. Then it worked great. Happened again yesterday, this time letting it sit did not work. After about 24 hours, it started working again.

I am in Great Lakes - Temps have been in the mid 70’s in the cabin.

Tried a few things - Power - Fully charged and low charge did not make a difference.
- When it is not working, I verified the compressor is running.
- Fan is always running, actually it appears to be running at max, usually it runs a a slower speed.

Any recommendations would be very welcome.
Bijoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Intermittent Refrigeration

It seems that a lot of Frigoboat systems suffer from a clogged capillary tube, all it takes is a tiny bit of foreign material, and I believe they don’t have a receiver / drier, which acts as a filter.
Turning it off for awhile may allow the blockage to come loose, and it likely gets blocked again soon
I know several people have had to replace the evaporator and add a receiver / drier.
Be careful though if you go this route, a friend ruined a evaporator bending it to fit the box.

Richard Coleman May come on a give you some troubleshooting tips, or you may want to contact him
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 13:03   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Interesting, I would not of guessed it was related to something in the system. First thought was I was running low on refrigerant but then how would it start working again. Any way to confirm this is the issue?

Thanks for the reply!
Bijoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 13:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Check the power input, wires, if its not already wired direct to the module, do that, some of them came with a 2 gang terminal set.
Wire it direct.
Start with the power, then look at the fan, tstat.
Our 12vdc Guru will be in shortly.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:41   #5

If your compressor is running, but not cooling, then you don't have a power issue - the compressor is running!

Best to run through the troubleshooting steps (try capillary trouble shooting guide) and their YouTube videos ("Cap Tube Blockages", for example) available at Coastal Climate Control - https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...igeration.html
Anna Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoux View Post
Looking for a little help with my Fridgeboat air cooled system. The fridge stopped working for about 24 hours. I was able to get it going again after letting it sit for about 60 min. Then it worked great. Happened again yesterday, this time letting it sit did not work. After about 24 hours, it started working again.

I am in Great Lakes - Temps have been in the mid 70’s in the cabin.

Tried a few things - Power - Fully charged and low charge did not make a difference.
- When it is not working, I verified the compressor is running.
- Fan is always running, actually it appears to be running at max, usually it runs a a slower speed.

Any recommendations would be very welcome.
It always helps to know the model number or age of compressor or even electronic control module model. It is unlikely that cap tube blockage is your problem unless someone has tampered with refrigerant. All Danfoss BD compressor systems are protected from mechanical damage as a result of low voltage spikes or excessive fan current amperage or high compressor starting amps. If this is a BD 35 or BD50 compressor there will generally be a LED that will flash a code identifying location of trouble.

If your compressor is a BD 2, BD2.5 or BD3 then follow these three manual tests. 1. Place jumper wire across thermostat terminals, Compressor still does not run.

2. Disconnect black fan wire from electronic module, Compressor runs replace fan. Compressor still does not run after fan ground wire is disconnected. If one of the 10 transistors in this fan fail it can cause module to prevent compressor from running.

3. Run correct size and correct polarity fused jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery to module in order to bypass all boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of no value, Compressor still does not run electronic module needs to be tested on another unit. If you are smart enough to forget what you think you know about 12 volt electric motors there will be no need to buy a new refrigeration unit.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 17:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

(If your compressor is running, but not cooling, then you don't have a power issue - the compressor is running!)
This is not a correct statement unless it is applied to the older models of Danfoss BD compressors. The new three phase variable speed BD compressors are pulse phase driven and are known to run at to low an Rpm to produce evaporator cooling if power supplied to module is not pure clean 12 volts.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration