Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 08:38   #1

Is it OK to install blackwater tank above the toilet discharge outlet?

Getting raw water slowly dribble back into the bowl and having to flush 2-3 times to clear the lines. I assume this is what is in the line between the tank and the discharge outlet of the toilet. Is the issue here is that the holding tank has bee fitted above the discharge and pipe running 90 degrees for half the distance?

EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 08:41   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Is it OK to install blackwater tank above the toilet discharge outlet?

If you have waste flowing back into the bowl you need to replace the joker valve on the head. The installation, from the photos, looks ideal.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 10:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

A brand new joker valve will block backflow, but every flush stretches the slit and "lips"...in a short time (how long depends on how much use the toilet gets you'd be able to see daylight through it, which is enough of a gap to begin to allow very slow seepage...gradually increasing. So you'd have to replace the joker valve as often as every couple of months to prevent backflow completely. But that would create another problem: waste left sitting in the discharge will lead to a stinky hose. In fact, judging from the color of it, I suspect it's already seriously permeated.

Relocating the tank is the only good solution. It has to be sitting on something...What's below it? If that won't work, is there any available lower space within 6-8' of the toilet? Or even further...it's better to have a longer discharge hose than what you have. How long is the discharge hose now?

And btw...What's the make/model of your toilet? Does it have a "dry bowl" flush option?

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:01   #4

Boat: Riva 48

There are some boats (Halberg-Rassey's) that have the holding tank above the bowl level and then use gravity discharge, so it could be done as long as you are OK to replace the joker valve often.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:42   #5

Boat: Najad 373

On my Najad the tank is also above toilet level. When buying the boat 3 years ago I changed the joker valve and since, no issue whatsoever. I do pour a bit of salad oil on a regular basis to keep the joints and valves lubricated and it works wonders.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:48   #6

You need to flush more. Even if the joker is leaking then the water seeping back will be clear.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:51   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You need to flush more. Even if the joker is leaking then the water seeping back will be clear.
There is this as well. Our tank is about 2 feet above the bowl. when flushing I pump the volume of the hose worth of clear water (simple calculation for pump strokes to hose volume) then pump dry vigorously to eject as much fluid from the line as possible.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:05   #8
cruiser

You need to flush with enough water to clear the waste hose for two reasons. One to prevent waste from permeating odors through the hose, and two so that any fluid that trickles back will be clear.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You need to flush with enough water to clear the waste hose for two reasons. One to prevent waste from permeating odors through the hose, and two so that any fluid that trickles back will be clear.

Do you have a given rule of thumb, say 10 ?strokes fresh water flush then as much as needed to empty the bowl?
I know a friend who asks for 20... sounds a lot to me though. Of course it's a matter of pipe size as well as what you stuff in...!
Old 16-10-2017, 12:36   #10

Sorry I meant sea water [emoji17]
Old 16-10-2017, 12:52   #11
cruiser

We have an electric macerating head, so two full bowls will flush all the way out to the through hull fitting. You'll need to experiment with the pump.
Old 16-10-2017, 14:39   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think the original question has been answered, change the joker valve often or better yet lower the tank.

Gravity is your friend, lower the tank.

There was some confusion, mostly me, about what kind of water was flowing into the bowl. To me the term "Raw Water" indicates water brought into the boat from outside, usually seawater. Once the Raw Water passes through the toilet it becomes "Black Water". I think everybody figured out that the OP meant black water when he said raw water. Sometimes it takes me a little longer to figure this stuff out.
Old 16-10-2017, 14:53   #13
cruiser

Our tank is above the toilet by almost three feet, no problems. No need to lower your tank.
Old 16-10-2017, 15:50   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

Also the hose/fitting is supposed to drop or point down just a bit at the pump. This is per the PHII manual.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 16:47   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Agree 100% with the previous posters who have said this.

A third reason: if your haven't pumped enough to get clean seawater trickling back, you will have a mixture of urine and seawater sitting in the low points of the system - and this will cause buildup of calcium carbonate(?) deposits in the lines.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, water