Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2024, 04:58   #1

Boat: SKOOTA Power Catamaran, 40ft
Is there a website for marine plumbing design?

I'm a newbie to sailing.
I'm completing a 40ft cat after the original builder died over five years ago. I've built and installed lots of things over the years (house plumbing, electricals, campervan conversions etc) so I'm practical. The cat though is very demanding because of non-standard angles and lack of space to hide things.

The OB (original builder) already installed two fuel tanks, a grey tank and a black tank. He bought a plethora of stuff including 19, 25 and 38mm hose, bilge pumps, shower bilge trays and filler inlets.
He also bought two Jabsco electric flush toilets.

Is there a website (maybe a manufacturer's one) that shows a standard install of stuff?
Things I'm perplexed by is where to install through hulls (I don't want any below the waterline), where to install pumps, tees and Y-valves for holding tank / overboard to avoid syphon action with two hulls to consider.

The OB installed one 400L freshwater tank. I want to use this water solely for drinking and cooking. I have installed (placed at the moment) two extra 200L tanks that will harvest rainwater from the roof over the saloon (7m x 4m). I'm envisaging that one tank will provide water to flush the toilets, while the other tank will provide water to the 150L water heater, which will provide hot water to the kitchen, shower and basin taps.

I could just 'get on and do it' but I wanted to have more of a guarantee that what I end up doing has a good chance of working.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation.
altruistica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Is there a website for marine plumbing design?

Every toilet mfr includes a "standard" plumbing installation in their installation instructions, but because every boat is different "one size fits all" plumbing examples rarely work for every boat.

TekTanks is a UK water and waste tank mfr who includes some installation/plumbing instructions on their website. And I'll be glad to help you "get it right the first time."
And I'll begin by saying that I think you're waaay over-producing it...you don't need all those sources of water and separate tanks. You want to keep things as simple as possible. So send me a PM if you'd like to have my help.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:10   #3

Boat: SKOOTA Power Catamaran, 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Every toilet mfr includes a "standard" plumbing installation in their installation instructions, but because every boat is different "one size fits all" plumbing examples rarely work for every boat.

TekTanks is a UK water and waste tank mfr who includes some installation/plumbing instructions on their website. And I'll be glad to help you "get it right the first time."
And I'll begin by saying that I think you're waaay over-producing it...you don't need all those sources of water and separate tanks. You want to keep things as simple as possible. So send me a PM if you'd like to have my help.

--Peggie

Thanks for the offer of help.
I'll get back to you once I've researched some more.
The reason I wanted different sources for the water was to preserve the 400L of water just for human consumption, meaning I could be off-grid longer. I won't be able to afford pulling into marinas at £75-100 per day (or more?) so will have to be strategic with my usage.
altruistica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

If access to fresh water is your main reason for thinking you need multiple sources and tanks, consider a water maker instead.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 13:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

You'll need at least one through-hull under the waterline unless you want to shoot a torrent of visible black water when you pump your holding tank offshore, and get that stuff all over your hull and smell it.

I second Peggy's suggestion of a watermaker.
Old 04-08-2024, 17:13   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Without any underwater thru hulls how do you plan to draw in water for the engine(s)?
Old 04-08-2024, 19:48   #7

I might sound like a luddite here, but a website for plumbing design? Why not a book?

There are a number of great books on boat design and construction standards. If you are building a boat and you have not falen asleep every night for a year studying Calders "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" you are missing a LOT.

I'd suggest very strongly that you follow standard design procedures. They are standard for good reasons. They work. I am not suggesting that there are not great ideas out there waiting to be implemented, but knowing the difference between a real good idea, and one with hidden flaws is very difficult for someone with no experience.

Quote:
The smart man learns from experience. The WISE man learns from OTHER's experiences.
You really don't want to be the next Flyin' Hawaiian; a boat just loaded chock full with "great" new ideas. (Google it...) Or maybe you do...
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, plumbing