Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 15:18   #16

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Is There Such a Thing as a Quiet Shower Sump Pump?

I use silent blocks or rubber sheet anywhere ..
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 15:57   #17

Boat: Riva 48

I experimented with different pumps in my very shallow sump and reached the conclusion that if it is a self priming pump then it has got to be noisy. Otherwise you can just use a bilge pump, these are quiet, rugged and inexpensive. So now I use a bilge pump but clean the compartment often.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 16:26   #18

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Here's another true story. During a period of being damn busy working I had tradesmen do everything on the boat.

I rang one to ask about the installation of an auxillary bilge pump/shower pump. (The shower drained into a part of the bilge).

"Yep, all fine, installed, pisses water far better than a giant horse" he informed me.

I next attended weeks later, and had forgotten about it. First opportunity to pump that bilge was perhaps months later, during a 60 knot gale with hours of horizontal rain.

The high pitched whining vibration brought the Meercats up from 3 piers upwind, and this during the storm. Unbelievable. Friends in a shop on the wharf came outside to investigate the source of the noise pollution. Jesus nearly wept.

Couldn't work out w.t.f. was wrong. Rang the tradesman. "yeah it was a bit noisey". I explained that this was a yacht, an silence was everything. I found his experience was all commercial trawlers. He suggested the only solution was to cover the thing in a noise insulated box - which, with more money and delegative ability than time and sense, I immediately ordered.

Still real damn noisey.

The pump vibration frequency seemed to resonate/harmonise somehow with the hull size and shape, creating some kind of ultra amplifier, with the entire 60 foot fibreglass hull acting as a speaker box. None of the on wharf experts or other marina meercats could offer sensible advice.

Anyway, luckily, the installer hadn't chucked the packaging. The lazy prick had left in the bow cabin. Still in the original box - four rubber mounting feet! On the instructions "ensure the rubber mountings are properly installed.

But I felt I was the bigger idiot.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 16:38   #19

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Silly me, and I thought the noise was intentional so neighbours and guests would not hear when me or the missus produced loud farts.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 16:55   #20

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
Here's another true story. During a period of being damn busy working I had tradesmen do everything on the boat.

I rang one to ask about the installation of an auxillary bilge pump/shower pump. (The shower drained into a part of the bilge).

"Yep, all fine, installed, pisses water far better than a giant horse" he informed me.

I next attended weeks later, and had forgotten about it. First opportunity to pump that bilge was perhaps months later, during a 60 knot gale with hours of horizontal rain.

The high pitched whining vibration brought the Meercats up from 3 piers upwind, and this during the storm. Unbelievable. Friends in a shop on the wharf came outside to investigate the source of the noise pollution. Jesus nearly wept.

Couldn't work out w.t.f. was wrong. Rang the tradesman. "yeah it was a bit noisey". I explained that this was a yacht, an silence was everything. I found his experience was all commercial trawlers. He suggested the only solution was to cover the thing in a noise insulated box - which, with more money and delegative ability than time and sense, I immediately ordered.

Still real damn noisey.

The pump vibration frequency seemed to resonate/harmonise somehow with the hull size and shape, creating some kind of ultra amplifier, with the entire 60 foot fibreglass hull acting as a speaker box. None of the on wharf experts or other marina meercats could offer sensible advice.

Anyway, luckily, the installer hadn't chucked the packaging. The lazy prick had left in the bow cabin. Still in the original box - four rubber mounting feet! On the instructions "ensure the rubber mountings are properly installed.

But I felt I was the bigger idiot.
What is it with some tradesmen that they do not, or will not, read the frikken instructions? Do they think it unprofessional to do so? I'd much rather they take a few minutes, read the instructions and get it right the first time. I didn't have any problems when building my boat because I was there all the time, watching and checking; but I sure had problems with tradesmen doing my home reno's. a couple so bad, I had to fire their butt off the project.
What one needs to keep in mind is that it's your money, and you want the job done right because even warranty won't cover a problem created by a lousy or incorrect installation.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 17:11   #21

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Silly me, and I thought the noise was intentional so neighbours and guests would not hear when me or the missus produced loud farts.
Yeah, that's a good point. Mine does that too.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 21:25   #22

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Our Bavaria 42 has two showers. Up foreward there is no sump pump so we simply use a block sponge to transfer the water into the toilet or basin. And while at it we give the walls a wiping over with the sponge.

Like all good yachties we are economical with our wtare usage so sponging is no big deal

We also employ a sponge most times in the aft head rather than cause noise.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, shower sump