Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2023, 15:22   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5
Is this corrugated hose spliceable?

Hey all, simple question before I cut or mess something up. Trying to install a watermaker. For the fresh water output I want to tee into my water fill line. It's from 1993.

Can I put a standard barb into this? asking because it looks like special fittings on the end and I don't know if this hose is smooth and can use barbs like most hose.

note - picture is of a different hose location

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231028_101216.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	282716  
sv_isara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 16:43   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Is this corrugated hose spliceable?

Nope, that style hose cuff is "threaded" to match the hose ribs then glued and screwed onto the hose. If you cut the hose and try to use a standard hose barb it'll leak through the spiral since that can' t be clamped flat. You could pull the cuff off the barb it's on (water fill deck fitting?) and insert a T fitting with a barb that goes back into the cuff and a short hose to go where the cuff was.
Bellinghamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 16:44   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Re: Is this corrugated hose spliceable?

We have a Spectra Ventura and the installation instructions had many don't do's and must do's. The instructions said do not use a tank vent line for the watermaker output. We did anyway to see if anything bad would happen. That was about 7 years ago and all has gone well.

The hose that you show in the photo might accept a fitting - I've repaired one of those by inserting an appropriate sized piece of plastic pipe, no barbs, and then hose clamping the whole thing together. That was about 15 years ago and all is well.

So not sure if you need barbs or not but I can say that trying to glue the watermaker feed into the plastic vent hose did not work. We reverted to a 3 way bronze tee, with barbs and hose clamps, and that has worked very well.