Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 10:45   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Isotemp Water Heater

I purchased and installed an Isotemp Slim 15 4 gallon water heater less than a year ago and during our summer cruise the element gasket blew out and I'm still trying to get something done under the 5 year warranty. I have two questions: 1) Has anyone else had a similar experience with Isotemp (Indel/Webasto)?, and 2) What is the best small hot water heater out there that will last more than a year? The Isotemp was certainly not cheap and I had much higher expectations for it. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:19   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Frankly, it may not be the newest technology, but our Raritan is now 22 years old and is still going strong. The same model is still made/sold today. For improved holding time, simply add a Reflextix insulating blanket around the unit. To ensure long-life, be certain to change the pencil zinc as necessary.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 18:15   #3

Sorry for the hijack...
Can the Raritan Heaters be dismantled to make the smallest dimension under 12" (for installation purposes)?
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 18:43   #4

Boat: 44 footer
What is the gasket made of, and do you have a pair of calipers to measure its thickness? Is it an O-ring or a flat cut gasket?

Sometimes it is easier to track down the gasket material, and cut one yourself when dealing with slow retailers.

Add a little to the thickness/round up to the next available size if it is flat. If you have the old gasket, lay it on top of your sheet of material and cut it out with an exacto knife. Straight lines are easily done on a paper cutting table. Bolt holes are most easily done by laying the gasket on the part and tapping lightly with a ball end of a ball peen hammer. That is, given the part you are working with has sharp edges, and is thick enough not to be distorted.
I often find lack of parts availability frustrating, and or the replacement just leaks again next year. A lot of gasket materials are better quality than what manufacturers put in them... always a pursuit of profit. Grrr.

Hope that helps...

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 21:58   #5

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Hope you just got a lemon. We just installed the same unit a month ago. Chose it because of space considerations.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:39   #6

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Thanks for the information so far. I'm trying to get a replacement unit under warranty. I hope it was just a lemon and I don't have to go back to the drawing board.........

Zach........I had a 1960 Sausalito-built Triton for many years and it was the best sailing boat I've owned. I'll check out your blog site.......
Old 12-10-2008, 20:10   #7

Warranty Service

If you need warranty service, you only have have to call or write. I don't have the number but they're easy to find on the internt. They always have responded quickly and professionally. I have installed several isotherms and isotemps on many boats and they are the greatest. The gasket is easy to replace. I have a isotemp going on twenty years old and have replaced the element once which came complete with the gasket. I know a sailor in the islands that plumbs salt water through his with no problems. No zincs needed.
Island Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 20:55   #8

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Just contact Indel Marine (Isotemp/Isotherm) in Florida and I am sure they will be very helpful. They have always been excellent when I needed them.

Welcome to Isotherm, Indel Marine USA, Indelmarine USA

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 21:24   #9

Boat: Schock 35
My heater is a Mobitherm by Waeco which is very similar to yours. These heaters are European imports and mine was shipped with a 240 volt heating coil. When the optional 120 volt coil arrived it did not have the gasket with it and the dealer installation immediately failed. Later I took the sucker apart and went to a good hardware dealer with the coil in my hand and purchased a high temp silicone O-ring. Three years later it still works like a champ.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote