Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2023, 15:19   #16

Location: Soon sailing from New Orleans to Key West then Caribbean
Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Orion 27
Re: Isotherm heat exchanger seacock leaking

Tightening orings which were above the closed valve when this discussion started curiously seems to have resolved most issues. When I opened valve I noticed leaks above valve and resolved all but a wet junction between valve and hose adapter. which is wet but now flowing.

I turned on the Isotherm refrigerator/icebox, cools beautifully. The pipe at valve gets extremely hot like a compressor. I expected warmth but not to this extreme. Is this just during initial startup phase or ongoing normal. Ice box temp guage is not working so I will start checking around.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 22:40   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
Tightening orings which were above the closed valve when this discussion started curiously seems to have resolved most issues. When I opened valve I noticed leaks above valve and resolved all but a wet junction between valve and hose adapter. which is wet but now flowing.

I turned on the Isotherm refrigerator/icebox, cools beautifully. The pipe at valve gets extremely hot like a compressor. I expected warmth but not to this extreme. Is this just during initial startup phase or ongoing normal. Ice box temp guage is not working so I will start checking around.
You must open the valve so that water gets in to cool it.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 02:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You must open the valve so that water gets in to cool it.
I have it open but don’t understand why since heat exchanger is before the valve from the outside.
Old 13-07-2023, 05:30   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I have it open but don’t understand why since heat exchanger is before the valve from the outside.
What connects to the hose? If there is air then there cannot be water.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 06:57   #20

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We looked at the Isotherm drain heat exchanger and read that the boat needs to be moving/bobbing for them to work efficiently. The movement allows the water to be displaced out of the drain area otherwise trapping the warm water.
It seems it would be better to have the seacock open (than closed) to allow better movement in the drain.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 11:58   #21

Not sure I understand what is going on there but it looks like it violates a cardinal rule of not having anything fragile before the shutoff valve. Suggest to reinstall properly with the part after the shutoff valve. How will you stop the leak if that part breaks off? Also, remember that through hulls are a straight thread and valves are likely a tapered thread so an adapter is required for a solid leak free connection. Also, what does the seacock hose feed? Will the isotherm restrict the flow to the device?
stavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 16:27   #22

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
I just launched my new old boat and this seacock unit installed by seller is leaking. Before I start messing with it to much I would love some experiential insights from someone who has experience with them.

The joy of plumbing .. needs big tools in a small space.

The unit has coils inside exposed to the water for cooling refrigeration heat exchanger.
Hard to make out..is that a crack in the bronzer valve?
If you are unsure slip the boat to be on the safe side in case the through hull fitting gets lose.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 16:29   #23

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If that valve is cracked, repair can’t wait.

Buy a Groco bronze valve.
Correct...
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 17:16   #24

"The pipe at valve gets extremely hot like a compressor." I'm sorry, but I predict this arrangement will cause you no end of grief in the long run. Unless there is a continuous flow of water through the fitting or the valve is open and water is free to flow up and down the pipe AND the boat is bobbing up and down causing water reciprocation, the heat exchanger will not dump enough heat. Remember, your cooling efficiency is directly related to how cold your heat exchanger is- if it is hot, your cooling will be inefficient at best. More importantly, that through hull installation does not belong on a sea going boat. Judging from the water soaking the wood, it is not anything close to marine plywood or an inert waterproof material- it is going to get soft and rot. Together with thermal cycling it will be leaking in no time. Replace that setup before you regret it.....
Old 17-07-2023, 17:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavok View Post
Not sure I understand what is going on there but it looks like it violates a cardinal rule of not having anything fragile before the shutoff valve. Suggest to reinstall properly with the part after the shutoff valve. How will you stop the leak if that part breaks off? Also, remember that through hulls are a straight thread and valves are likely a tapered thread so an adapter is required for a solid leak free connection. Also, what does the seacock hose feed? Will the isotherm restrict the flow to the device?
I read up on the unit and now understand the through hull is integral so my comments about threads are hopefully not relevant.
Old 18-07-2023, 04:01   #26

The Isotherm through hull worked brilliantly for us. It even worked when out of the water on the hard with just air over the coils. Therefore the 'bobbing up and down in the water' requirement seems invalid. I would be very wary of trying to seal from the outside with a bung - the coils are exposed. Yes, the fitting gets hot but have you checked it is not blocked outside? Have the coils been covered in growth? Does the sink still drain ok? When I fitted it the refrigerent pipes had a check valve. I don't know if the check valves will still work if you disconnect them to gain better access. In short, I would be very loathe to get rid of it.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2023, 04:24   #27

Great news, after being in the water a week Isotherm unit is working beautifully. All leaks are stopped. I wish I had known it works on land, would have loved it while on the hard.

Tags
heat exchanger, isotherm