Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:23   #1

Isotherm Refrigeration

Has anyone used the isotherm refrigeration refit system that uses a tru hull fitting as the cooling unit? I an thinking about conveting my box and this system looks good if it works well
thanks
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 06:50   #2

NOBODY?
Old 14-08-2009, 07:05   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Depends what you mean by a thru hull fitting.

If you mean one that sucks water into the boat, and uses this to cool the system - better than air cooled, but uses a lot of power to suck the cool water in and pump it around.

If you mean the one that has pipework outside the boat which contains the condensate - I have always woried about the vulnerability of this system

If you mean a thru-hull fitting that is a large blob of bronze, and this acts as a heat sink, thru which the condensate is pumped - I have no personal experiennce, but reports from a number of people I do know, who have used this, are that it is by far the best system, and the most economic in use of power. It looks like this:

I would definitely fit this myself.
Old 14-08-2009, 07:25   #4

I should be more clear
The system I am looking at uses a thu hull fitting with a heat exchanger built in to in. Isotherm recomends replacing the galley overboard sink drain with this fitting No pump requires Isotherm call this a SELF PUMP system Would be interested in anyother suggestions for converting a 3.5 box
Old 14-08-2009, 08:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I should be more clear
The system I am looking at uses a thu hull fitting with a heat exchanger built in to in. Isotherm recomends replacing the galley overboard sink drain with this fitting No pump requires Isotherm call this a SELF PUMP system Would be interested in anyother suggestions for converting a 3.5 box
Qote from Richard Kollman - Marine Fridge expert

The reports I have received on Isotherm’s through hole condensers are not favorable as it is difficult to clean then and they should not be installed on sink drain. Recommended location of this condenser is in cockpit drain where a long bottle brush can be used to remove deposits. One boater in the tropics said he was replacing his Isotherm through hull condenser.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Qote from Richard Kollman - Marine Fridge expert

The reports I have received on Isotherm’s through hole condensers are not favorable as it is difficult to clean then and they should not be installed on sink drain. Recommended location of this condenser is in cockpit drain where a long bottle brush can be used to remove deposits. One boater in the tropics said he was replacing his Isotherm through hull condenser.
Thank you
Who is the manufactor of the heatsink cooling unit you have in the picture?
Old 14-08-2009, 09:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Thank you
Who is the manufactor of the heatsink cooling unit you have in the picture?

Frigoboat

Kollman is not a great enthusiast of these either, but I havent heard anything bad about them from people I know who have them fitted.
Old 26-08-2009, 19:27   #8

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
I agree that these look good but I have a load of reservations about them. I do know the water cooled units are good as long as you can keep them clean and critter free. Problem is that in tropical waters the growth is rapid and very hard to get at in the cooling coils. I have gone back to air cooled, not the most efficient but they always work and have never made me any problems. Tip is to take the cooling air from the bilge where it is the coolest. Best of luck and happy sailing.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 20:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
My concern over the SP cooling units is that it relies on the movement of the boat to "pump" water in and out of the fitting. In some anchorages or marinas, this movement is going to be minimal. In our marina, we are very well protected, and there is little movement. If you cruising area/plans are the same, how will it work?

We have a recently installed Isotherm water cooled Holding plate system. They have a voltage reducer for the seawater pump, that brings down the power required to operate the unit. It is working well, time will tell how if fares long term.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isotherm, refrigeration