Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 02:13   #1

Isotherm thru-hull

I noticed that isotherm makes a very nice thru-hull with a built-in condenser/heat exchanger.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is only available in bronze, which makes it entirely unsuitable for aluminum hulls.

I was wondering if anyone happened to know of a nice below the waterline heat exchanger system that was either made from aluminum or is compatible with aluminum. It doesn't have to be a thru-hull or even need to useful as a plumbing thru-hull.

Thanks in advance....
anontrolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 03:14   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Isotherm thru-hull

I can't answer your question, but can vouch for the Isotherm SP system. It works great. I was really surprised after my boat was out of the water for 24 hours (being antifouled) that the refrigeration seemed to work almost like normal even using just air circulating through the through-hulls (mine are plumbed to deck drains, so air can flow when the boat is out of the water). I am in fairly cold water here, so YMMV. But at least here, the system provides very good performance with no moving parts, no pumps, no fans, no noise.

Another system, as used on most Oysters, called Frigoboat I think, also uses a "keel cooler" type concept. The condensor lives outside the hull in a unit which looks like a hull anode. I have not used it and can't say how well it works, but the concept seems sound. Maybe that would be worth investigating for you if you can't find the Isotherm system in the right material.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 03:40   #3

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead
I can't answer your question, but can vouch for the Isotherm SP system. It works great. I was really surprised after my boat was out of the water for 24 hours (being antifouled) that the refrigeration seemed to work almost like normal even using just air circulating through the through-hulls (mine are plumbed to deck drains, so air can flow when the boat is out of the water). I am in fairly cold water here, so YMMV. But at least here, the system provides very good performance with no moving parts, no pumps, no fans, no noise.

Another system, as used on most Oysters, called Frigoboat I think, also uses a "keel cooler" type concept. The condensor lives outside the hull in a unit which looks like a hull anode. I have not used it and can't say how well it works, but the concept seems sound. Maybe that would be worth investigating for you if you can't find the Isotherm system in the right material.
I just installed a Frigoboat keep cooler system, and it works great with low draw. But I also think it is bronze only for the through hull. Can you use a marelon through hull to isolate it I wonder?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 06:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Fernstrum® "GRIDCOOLER" keel coolers are available in either 90/10 copper/nickel, or marine grade aluminum rectangular tubing. Aluminum units are constructed of alloys (5000 series) that are compatible with vessels having (unpainted) aluminum hulls.

R.W. Fernstrum & Company

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 05:15   #5

I've looked at the gridcoolers but these seem to involve external mounting. I'd like to bond the cooler to the internal hull or use an existing thru hull. There's a third possible option of adding the cooler into a sugar scoop that currently doesn't exist, but that seems like a bunch of work.
anontrolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 19:29   #6

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anontrolus
I've looked at the gridcoolers but these seem to involve external mounting. I'd like to bond the cooler to the internal hull or use an existing thru hull. There's a third possible option of adding the cooler into a sugar scoop that currently doesn't exist, but that seems like a bunch of work.
I have always thought this would be a good idea, and wondered why no ones done it given the thermodynamic properties of aluminum. With all that wetted surface to work with you could probably cool the engine and/or generator too. I will be following this thread of sure.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

I know of no water cooled electric refrigerators suitable for aluminum hulls. Five years after owner ran a 1/4 in copper refrigerant line in and out of a integral to hull water tank, hull plate skin had serious corrosion. Low voltage current is difficult to manage on boats other than aluminum hulls.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote