Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 12:53   #1

Jabsco 37010 service nightmare. Please help

Hello everyone. I bought a 32’ Carver Mariner a while back and I’m finally getting around to some long awaited maintenance items. The latest is the electric marine head. I have all the receipts so I don’t know what the original head was but it has the Jabsco 37010 electric conversion kit. I know because I found the box and receipt. I bought a wet end kit for it and decided to service it.

Everything went pretty well. Only issues once inside the pump was a massive hair ball wrapped around the chopper plate and a ton of hard water deposits. I soaked the pieces I was keeping in vinegar to remove the deposits and reassembled. Went to hit the button and nothing. Rotated pump from back shaft and hit the button again. This time is made an awful squeal. I decided I needed to lube it more. Tore it down, lubed everything up, and hit the button.

It worked...sort of. Through process of elimination and 4 more tear downs, I discovered the shaft seal leaking allowing fresh water into the waste. Took everything apart again and made sure all the mating surfaces were clean. Instructions called for an 1/8” gap between the impeller and the wear plate. With that gap it leaks like the titanic whenever I was bench testing by adding water to the inlet. So I decided to press the impeller into the shaft seal and locking the screw to keep it there. No leaks on bench test. Put it back together, and hit the button...

leaks again, shaft seal. Confirmed this by filling the pump body through the inlet while blocking the outlet. I’m at a loss. I’m on tear down number 7 on and have been working on this for about 12 hours total. Am I doing something wrong?
gotjeepzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 18:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jabsco 37010 service nightmare. Please help

The only thing you're doing wrong is refusing to give up on a worn out toilet. That should have been obvious along about teardown #4 that replacing it, or at least the pump/motor assembly is the only answer.

You can find 37010 pump motor assemblies for a pretty reasonable price if you shop for 'em.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:31   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjeepzj View Post
I’m at a loss. I’m on tear down number 7 on and have been working on this for about 12 hours total. Am I doing something wrong?

What Peggie said.

I have the 37045 "Quiet Flush" freshwater electric-flush model. Similar, sorta.

When our original pump/motor assembly got much louder and then started weeping a bit after about 10 years or so, I tried a rebuild. Didn't solve the weeping for long and did nothing for the noise.

At that point, I bought a replacement pump/motor assembly. Takes about 10 minutes to swap new for old. Not all that expensive, no leak, back to "quiet."

I should have done that in the first place.

-Chris
Old 12-04-2020, 04:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gotjeepzj.

You've heard from our Guru ("Head Mistress").

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 13:35   #5

What Peggy said! And buy her book, a good read on a CV19 day, and a great reference.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 13:40   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

+1 for Peggy's answer.

If you insist on giving it another go before spending money and replacing stuff this video may help:
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 17:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

+1 for Peggy's reply -- I messed with both of my old heads for two days each before I said @@@@ it and bought new ones-- never again-- buy the new stuf and move on life is way to short to with old toilet systems
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 21:20   #8

Thanks all. What’s the name of the book? I just ordered a new toilet....I felt like I would be putting a bandaid on a bullet wound if I continued.
gotjeepzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 22:06   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjeepzj View Post
Thanks all. What’s the name of the book? I just ordered a new toilet....I felt like I would be putting a bandaid on a bullet wound if I continued.
Hi, there is a link to it under her signature at the bottom of her post.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:31   #10
Marine Service Provider

The book is The NEW "Get Rid of Boat Odors" (my publisher's idea), which is a bit misleading 'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

Just click on the title in my signature to bring up the link to it on Amazon.

Thanks for your interest in it! And btw...welcome to the cruisers forum!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, lease, service