Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 16:55   #1

Boat: Hunter 460
Jabsco Electric Quiet Flush Continously Running

Our aft electric Quiet Flush head (plumbed for fresh water) developed a problem where water would continue to run into the bowl after a flush. Sometime it was a trickle and sometimes quite a bit more. Replacing the solenoid / anti-siphon valve fixed it. For a while. About a month later the problem came back.

This morning I called Jabsco support and got some great help on the problem and how to fix it. If there is another discussion of this problem on this forum I wasn't able to find it so I thought I'd go through what Paul at Jabsco told me to do and include some pictures along the way. It's actually a very easy fix and takes maybe 20 minutes if you use the quick connects to remove the part from the system.

Here's a look at the solenoid / anti-siphon valve.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5077.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	105431

First remove the screw that holds the solenoid on so you can get at the other screws.

Name:	DSC_5078.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	105432

Name:	DSC_5079.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	105433

Once the screws are removed it comes apart like this. Just to prove how easy this is, I don't know the names of any of these parts but I was able to take it apart and clean it, solving my immediate issue.

Name:	DSC_5080.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	105434

There is a spring inside the "stem" but fear not, it shouldn't fly out but here is how it goes back.

Name:	DSC_5084.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	105438

This picture is focused on the wrong spot but you can still make out how much junk is on the diaphragm. The diaphragm lifts right out of the body.

Name:	DSC_5081.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	105435

This is my real issue. Paul recommended a second inline filter with a very fine screen to try and filter the water better. Our boat is 15 years old and I expect to have to deal with this issue until I figure out a way to clean the water tanks and lines.

Name:	DSC_5082.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	105436

Pay particular attention to any items stuck between the diaphragm (black) and the white plastic piece in the center.

Here it is when it's almost clean. Notice there is still some stuff in the small orifices of the diaphragm. Being very careful with a sewing needle and some tweezers I was able to get that stuff out also.

Name:	DSC_5083.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	105437

Then it all goes back together just like it came apart. I hope you find this helpful.

Brian
txh2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 17:25   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Jabsco Electric Quiet Flush Continously Running

Good info! Thank you.

Two of my solenoids went bad. One got wet and rusty and the other one would not retract properly. So, I carry an extra solenoid and the valve on my spare parts kit. You can buy the solenoid separately from a non-marine store for much less... The part number is shown on the part.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 21:30   #3

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have this problem on occasion with ours. It reminds us that it's time to replace/clean our fresh water system filters.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 22:00   #4
cruiser

Just curious... If you can flush with a copious amount of sea water using an electric toilet, why waste fresh water on your toilet?

We have two Jabsco electric, maserating toilets which use sea water. No problems with stink or maintenance. It couldn't be more simple.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 11:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Just curious... If you can flush with a copious amount of sea water using an electric toilet, why waste fresh water on your toilet?
Lower amperage draw, less flush water needed, MUCH quieter, no sea water mineral buildup in the hoses, no odors from micro (and not so micro) animal or vegetable sea life that can get pulled into the intake to die, decay and STINK...even sea water, especially warm sea water will stink if left to sit and stagnate while the boat sits.

That's why. All of the above is more of an issue in some waters than others...apparently none of it is much of an issue for you. So if you're happy with your sea water toilets, your system ain't broke...no reason to fix it.

I would, however, recommend that you pull your toilet discharge hose off the toilet once or twice a year to check for mineral buildup, especially if you're in a part of the Med that's warm 'cuz warm water has a higher mineral content than cold. It's not uncommon for buildup to reduce a 1.5" hose to less than half an inch in a single season in the tropics.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jabsco